TV

The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Former UFC contender Chael Sonnen loses TV gig after failing 2nd drug test

  • Print

TORONTO - Former title contender Chael Sonnen has been dumped from his UFC broadcasting duties after failing a second drug test as a fighter.

The outspoken 37-year-old announced his retirement from the cage on June 11 after the first positive test, which resulted in his removal from a proposed UFC 175 bout against Vitor Belfort.

Sonnen, who fought unsuccessfully for both the UFC light-heavyweight (twice) and middleweight titles during a 9-8 UFC career, lost his TV analyst gig after the second positive drug test.

"The UFC and Fox Sports organizations announced today the termination of their respective broadcasting services agreements with analyst Chael Sonnen," a joint statement released Monday said. "This decision comes in light of Sonnen failing a second test conducted by the Nevada Athletic Commission for banned substances in June. Sonnen was previously under temporary suspension by the Nevada Athletic Commission for failing an initial test conducted in May."

Sonnen previously had a therapeutic-use exemption for testosterone replacement therapy, which the Nevada Commission banned earlier this year.

Sonnen, after the first positive test result, said on the "UFC Tonight" show he co-hosted on Fox Sports 1 that the medical condition that necessitated his use of TRT had prompted him to turn to other medications in the transition from TRT.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Weather for final Fringing weekend

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Marc Gallant/Winnipeg Free Press. Gardening Column- Assiniboine Park English Garden. July 19, 2002.
  • A young goose   reaches for long strands of grass Friday night near McGillvary Blvd-See Bryksa 30 Day goose challenge- Day 19 - May 23, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Should Winnipeg control growth to deal with climate change?

View Results

Ads by Google