TV

The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Man drops Hawaii sex abuse lawsuit against former TV executive; 'X-Men' director case pending

  • Print

HONOLULU, Hawaii - A former aspiring actor and model has withdrawn his lawsuit alleging a former TV executive sexually abused him during trips to Hawaii in 1999.

Attorneys for Michael Egan III filed papers Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Honolulu voluntarily dismissing the case against David Neuman.

Neuman, "X-Men" director Bryan Singer, producer Gary Goddard and former television executive Garth Ancier were sued by Egan in April under a Hawaii law that suspended the statute of limitations in civil sex abuse cases.

The Associated Press does not typically identify alleged victims of sex abuse but is naming Egan because he has spoken publicly about his case.

He alleges Singer abused him several times during trips to Hawaii in 1999, when Egan was 17. Egan also accuses Singer of abusing him earlier in California as part of a Hollywood sex ring. The other lawsuits involve similar allegations.

All the defendants deny the claims. A judge next month will consider motions to dismiss the remaining cases.

The withdrawal of the lawsuit against Neuman "exposes this despicable lawsuit for what it really was: an unethical smearing and failed shakedown of a completely innocent man," Neuman's Los Angeles attorneys said in a statement.

Egan's Hawaii attorney, Mark Gallagher, referred questions to Egan's Florida attorney, Jeff Herman, whose office released a statement saying: "Mr. Egan maintains the allegations and has even passed a polygraph test based on those specific allegations. We are evaluating our next step in seeking justice for Mr. Egan."

Lawyers for Neuman filed a motion last month to dismiss the case, arguing that Egan said in an statement under oath in 2003 that Neuman was not in Hawaii with him and didn't sexually assault him or engage in any kind of sexual behaviour with him.

"Now, more than 10 years after signing the declaration, plaintiff inexplicably has chosen to suddenly claim that Mr. Neuman had engaged in the very conduct which 10 years earlier he swore Mr. Neuman had no part of," the motion said.

The motion also argued that Egan is taking advantage of Hawaii's law that afforded a two-year window to file civil sex abuse lawsuits if the statute of limitations had lapsed. The window closed in April, but a bill before Gov. Neil Abercrombie would extend the filing deadline to 2016.

Federal courts can handle such cases when parties are from different states.

"Hawaii's extended state statute of limitations is being used ... to publicly defame and embarrass a California resident (Mr. Neuman), in the hope that Mr. Neuman, rather than fight these blatantly false and frivolous claims, will simply pay the plaintiff to go away," Neuman's motion said.

Neuman has worked for Disney and CNN as a TV executive.

___

Follow Jennifer Sinco Kelleher at http://www.twitter.com/JenHapa .

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Winnipeg Cheapskate: Cheap summer weekends

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Someone or thing is taking advantage of the inactivity at Kapyong Barracks,hundreds of Canada Geese-See Joe Bryksa’s goose a day for 30 days challenge- Day 15- May 22, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • A female Mallard duck leads a group of duckings on a morning swim through the reflections in the Assiniboine River at The Forks Monday.     (WAYNE GLOWACKI/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS) Winnipeg Free Press  June 18 2012

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Should Winnipeg control growth to deal with climate change?

View Results

Ads by Google