DOES your sandy-coloured mutt have star quality to rival Uggie, the celebrity terrier who starred in The Artist?
Rainbow Stage has put out a call for a local pooch to play Sandy in the musical Annie.
The canine audition is being held from 1-7 p.m. on May 10 at the Kildonan Park stage.
The job isn’t a walk in the park. The dog must be available for a large number of hours, both daytime and evening, during the three-week rehearsal period and for all performances during the three-week run of Annie, Aug. 9 to 31. No word on whether Sandy gets his own dressing room.
The trainer/owner must be "100 per cent committed to attendance," the company says.
Sandy will appear in several scenes in the show about a spunky red-haired orphan. His or her owner will be paid an honorarium.
Rainbow Stage would especially like a talented pooch who can do tricks such as shake-a-paw, talk on command, crawl, walk on its back feet and turn in circles.
The dog must:
- Be sandy in colour
- Weigh 60 to 80 pounds and should be a "mutt" type
- Be comfortable with loud noises
- Be able to maintain a sit-and-stay, do an excellent heel, come when called and respond to verbal and hand commands.
- Be social and good with children
- Demonstrate that it can consistently repeat required stage actions.
You must pre-register for an audition. To get a registration form, call 989-5261, ext. 2, email email@example.com, or pick one up at 200-180 Market Ave. between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays.
Applicants must submit a photo of the dog.