Mike Peters is next in our series on local photographers using social media to share and engage with the visual arts community. Never before has there been such easy access to a mass audience for any level of artist. The following is his take on Instagram, editing and other photo thoughts. You can follow Peters on Instagram at @93mp
-- Mike Aporius, director of photography/multimedia
In the last five months since I've started exploring and looking beyond what an everyday person would see, Winnipeg is a completely different place for me. This city gets a bad rep because of its weather (amongst other things), but I hope people can look at my photos and see the true beauty of this place.
- The 'looking up' series is an architectural perspective. It creates an awesome effect that can show extreme depth, geometry and sometimes symmetry, all depending on how you play with it. Also, there is something quite humbling about standing at the base of a tall building and looking straight up at its mighty stature, that's why I love it.
- Instagram is a visual notebook that I can carry around with me all the time. It wasn't until recently I discovered the potential of IG. The way it connects people from all over the world in a creative, positive and inspiring fashion. It's a photo community like no other. What good is a photo if you don't share it?
- I display my work on IG with the limitations of using just an iPhone. So much can be captured with such a simple smartphone camera -- so many people have no idea. But it doesn't matter what camera you use, just get out there and take some photos.
- For editing I recommend the mobile app VSCOcam. I like to keep my editing as simple as possible, which usually means just slightly changing exposure and contrast and other fine tweaking. Occasionally I completely over-edit a photo and I love the way it looks-- you can create an entirely different image that way. But I usually like a natural look to my photos, so I don't go heavy on the filters.
- This is just the beginning for me. I will continue sharing my photos, meeting people and exploring. I plan to host a Winnipeg Instameet next month where you will be able to meet people, tell each other stories, walk around taking photos and just have some fun!
- Favourite quote? "The best camera is the one that's with you." -- Chase Jarvis
Who Peters follows on Instagram:
@jill_koop / @janinekropla / @Knatez / @simeorusnak / @responsibilly