Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Posted: 10/2/2013 1:00 AM | Comments: 0
NEW YORK -- New York City Opera says the company will file for bankruptcy protection and wind down operations after failing to raise enough money to stage the rest of its season.
The company announced Sept. 12 that it needed $7 million by the end of September.
Spokeswoman Risa Heller said Tuesday that City Opera "did not achieve the goal of its emergency appeal. Today, the board and management will begin the necessary financial and operational steps to wind down the company, including initiating the chapter 11 process."
As of last Thursday the company, which began performances in 1944, said just $1.5 million had been pledged. It hoped to raise $1 million on Kickstarter.com but a total of $301,019 from 2,108 donors was pledged on the website.
-- The Associated Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition October 2, 2013 D2
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories? Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
In praise of older woman
For cancer survivor Don Dietrich, heaven is a hockey rink in the Rockies
WAG's Inuit Art Centre receives $500-K donation
Andy Kindler: something old, something new...
Winnipeg actor Darcy Fehr went back to university at 40 and finds himself onstage in classic play
Outside the gallery, artists need to watch where they're going
Vocalist blooms Mezzo-soprano alters range, takes home Rose Bowl trophy
The human touch: Reva Stone recognized for career of groundbreaking digital art