Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
A warm coat, and Furtado's all set
TORONTO -- Victoria-raised pop star Nelly Furtado says she loves playing gigs on New Year's Eve -- even if it means having to freeze in icy climes, which will be the case Monday night when she takes the outdoor stage at Niagara Falls, Ont.
"It's fun and you get to be onstage and you get to serenade all the couples that are kissing at midnight. It's a great vantage point," she said in a recent interview, noting she was shopping for a coat that was warm enough for the gig.
Furtado plans to bring the party by singing a mix of new and old tunes from her five albums at Entertainment Tonight Canada's fourth annual New Year's Eve at Niagara Falls. The two-hour show, hosted by Cheryl Hickey and Matte Babel, starts at 10 p.m. on Global.
Other acts on the bill include electro-pop trio Dragonette and Vancouver rockers Hedley, Furtado's fellow Free the Children charity ambassadors.
Hedley lead singer Jacob Hoggard is known for pulling pranks and Furtado is bracing for a surprise of some sort.
"I'm sure his prank will be showing up with, like, no shirt on. Like, Niagara Falls in the freezing, sub-zero temperatures and somehow being able to sing, without a scarf on," she said.
"That's what rock stars do."
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition December 31, 2012 D2
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 50 articles for this week)2:15 AM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Gwen Stefani wants to 'disappear' from her children
- Jennifer Aniston: Justin will shoot me if I have surgery
- Sober tweeter Anna Kendrick
- Lorde flirts with porn star
- Victoria Beckham gets son pierced
- Michael Lohan marries Kate Major
- Angelina Jolie wants to learn to cook for Brad
- Rihanna's granddad crashes record label meeting
- Ariana Grande 'shocked and upset' by Bette Midler criticism
- Fergie teaches son about Christmas
- Kim Kardashian West adoption girl has no regrets
- Jennifer Aniston disses Kim Kardashian West's nude photoshoot
- Kelsey Grammer slammed by ex-wife
- Carrie Underwood learned baby news at dinner
- Bette Midler slams 'silly' Ariana Grande
- Richard Gere set for expensive divorce
- Michael Phelp's girlfriend was a boy
- Amber Heard 'unhappy' with Johnny Depp
- Kanye West 'obsessed' with Kim's photoshoot
- Reese Witherspoon defends Renee Zellweger
- Team Ghomeshi or Team CBC? It's impossible to take sides
- Jessie J: Fame is hard
- Streisand confirms couple still together
- Shades of grey
- Matthew McConaughey loves face cream
- Nicole Scherzinger feels lost
- Elle Macpherson happy about being 50
- Kim Kardashian West's photos 'were tampered with'
- Brooke Shields regrets Andre Agassi marriage
- Priscilla Presley: Elvis was the 'real deal'
Ads by Google