Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Award-winning humorist David Rakoff dies at 47
NEW YORK -- David Rakoff, an award-winning humorist, has died.
Doubleday and Anchor Books announced Friday that Rakoff died Thursday after a long illness. He was 47.
Rakoff has written for The New York Times, Newsweek and other publications and was a contributor to radio's This American Life.
In October, his essay collection Half Empty won the Thurber Prize for American Humor. His other bestselling books are Don't Get Too Comfortable and Fraud.
Rakoff's longtime editor, Bill Thomas, says the author's life was "infuriatingly short" but "rich beyond measure." Thomas says the writer was charming, witty and had a very quick mind. But most of all, he says, Rakoff "was a generous soul."
Doubleday plans to publish Rakoff's final work next year. The title will be: Love, Dishonor, Marry, Die; Cherish, Perish.
-- The Associated Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition August 11, 2012 G2
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 16 articles for today)6:15 PM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Matchmaker mother Kelly Clarkson
- Ed Sheeran reveals he wore a girdle
- Kelly Osbourne quits 'Fashion Police'
- Jennifer Lawrence slams rumours
- Ne-Yo needs three hat houses
- Molly Sims's cravings have painful side effects
- Proud dad Ian Ziering
- Fergie was broke before Peas' hits
- Ryan Gosling gets new tattoo?
- Jane Lynch remembers late co-star every day
- John Travolta explains gaffe
- David Duchovny's ex wants to 'throttle him'
- Ellie Goulding: Cara's boobs are my best friends
- Kardashian family agree 100m deal
- Joan Rivers snubbed in Oscars' In Memoriam segment
- Lady Gaga in proposal prank
- 'Violent' seizures for Houston's daughter
- Sharon Osbourne's Oscars rant
- Jennifer Lopez slipped on dress
- Demi Lovato rushed to hospital
- Gwyneth Paltrow steams her vagina
- Charlie Hunnam doesn't trust iCloud
- As Whitney Houston's daughter remains hospitalized, haunting parallels emerge
- Bruce Jenner involved in 'fatal' car accident
- Geraldine McEwan dies aged 82
- Stephen Fry 'proud' of public's reaction to his marriage
- Theo James reads every day
- Will Smith bans kids from hanging out with Jenners
- Gordon Ramsay embarrassed by daughter
- Bruce Jenner's mother confirms he's transitioning into woman
Ads by Google