Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Beauty queen must pay pageant $5M for defamation
NEW YORK -- A federal judge in New York has upheld an arbitrator's ruling that a Pennsylvania beauty queen must pay the Miss USA pageant $5 million for defaming Donald Trump's pageant organization.
Sheena Monnin resigned as Miss Pennsylvania last year, saying the Miss USA contest was rigged. She claimed another contestant learned the names of the top five finishers hours before the show was broadcast. Monnin said she decided to turn in her crown as soon as those same contestants were named during the show.
She posted a series of messages on Facebook and spoke publicly about her claims. Trump's Miss Universe Organization sued Monnin for defamation and an arbitrator ruled against her in December. The arbitrator said Monnin's allegations cost the pageant a $5 million fee from a potential 2013 sponsor.
Earlier this week, U.S. District Court Judge J. Paul Oetken upheld the arbitrator's decision. Monnin had sought to have it overturned based on three grounds: the arbitrator overstepped his authority, his decision disregarded law and she didn't know the arbitration hearing was taking place. The judge disagreed.
Monnin, of Cranberry, Pa., said in a Facebook post Thursday evening that she is glad the truth is out there, regardless of the outcome.
"This is not about me being a 'sore loser' or wanting my '15 minutes of fame"' she wrote. "This is about the MUO's admission under oath that they manipulate the judges' results to suit their own ends. This is not what they advertise to the public."
Pageant organizers claimed Monnin resigned because she disagreed with a decision to allow transgender contestants. They made public text from an email they said Monnin sent citing the decision to allow natural-born males into the competition as the reason for her resignation. A transgender contestant was initially denied entry to the Miss Universe Canada pageant because she wasn't born female, but Trump overruled that decision.
-- The Associated Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition July 6, 2013 G2
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 28 articles for today)7:15 PM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Kardashian family agree 100m deal
- Ed Sheeran reveals Ne-Yo wedding plans
- Jennifer Lopez 'open' to meeting man in a bar
- Bobbi Kristina Brown still in coma
- Kanye West's BRIT performance causes controversy
- Kim Kardashian West suffers BRITs selfie fail
- Robin Williams' daughter doesn't need an explanation
- Paris Hilton sent car by fan
- Lady Gaga celebrates engagement with fiance's co-stars
- Bobbi Kristina Brown is being taken out of coma
- Theo James reads every day
- 'Parks and Recreation' writer-producer Harris Wittels dies at 30; drugs suspected
- John Travolta explains gaffe
- Kris Jenner 'furious' with Kanye West
- Ellie Goulding: Cara's boobs are my best friends
- David Duchovny's ex wants to 'throttle him'
- Scout Willis: I'm too sensitive for film career
- Joan Rivers snubbed in Oscars' In Memoriam segment
- Vanilla Ice 'in a mess'
- Lady Gaga in proposal prank
- Gwyneth Paltrow steams her vagina
- Charlie Hunnam doesn't trust iCloud
- As Whitney Houston's daughter remains hospitalized, haunting parallels emerge
- Bruce Jenner involved in 'fatal' car accident
- Geraldine McEwan dies aged 82
- Stephen Fry 'proud' of public's reaction to his marriage
- Theo James reads every day
- Will Smith bans kids from hanging out with Jenners
- Gordon Ramsay embarrassed by daughter
- Bruce Jenner's mother confirms he's transitioning into woman
Ads by Google