Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Beauty queen must pay pageant $5M for defamation
NEW YORK -- A federal judge in New York has upheld an arbitrator's ruling that a Pennsylvania beauty queen must pay the Miss USA pageant $5 million for defaming Donald Trump's pageant organization.
Sheena Monnin resigned as Miss Pennsylvania last year, saying the Miss USA contest was rigged. She claimed another contestant learned the names of the top five finishers hours before the show was broadcast. Monnin said she decided to turn in her crown as soon as those same contestants were named during the show.
She posted a series of messages on Facebook and spoke publicly about her claims. Trump's Miss Universe Organization sued Monnin for defamation and an arbitrator ruled against her in December. The arbitrator said Monnin's allegations cost the pageant a $5 million fee from a potential 2013 sponsor.
Earlier this week, U.S. District Court Judge J. Paul Oetken upheld the arbitrator's decision. Monnin had sought to have it overturned based on three grounds: the arbitrator overstepped his authority, his decision disregarded law and she didn't know the arbitration hearing was taking place. The judge disagreed.
Monnin, of Cranberry, Pa., said in a Facebook post Thursday evening that she is glad the truth is out there, regardless of the outcome.
"This is not about me being a 'sore loser' or wanting my '15 minutes of fame"' she wrote. "This is about the MUO's admission under oath that they manipulate the judges' results to suit their own ends. This is not what they advertise to the public."
Pageant organizers claimed Monnin resigned because she disagreed with a decision to allow transgender contestants. They made public text from an email they said Monnin sent citing the decision to allow natural-born males into the competition as the reason for her resignation. A transgender contestant was initially denied entry to the Miss Universe Canada pageant because she wasn't born female, but Trump overruled that decision.
-- The Associated Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition July 6, 2013 G2
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 16 articles for today)9:15 AM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Robin Thicke 'done begging' Paula for reconciliation
- Paul Hogan divorces Linda Kozlowski
- North West takes first steps
- Fitness freak Lindsay Lohan
- Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin's 'marriage probation'
- Zac Efron enjoys night with Robert Pattinson
- Tori Spelling hopes woes will teach children
- Michael Moore gets divorced
- Naya Rivera married Ryan Dorsey on same day she was due to wed Big Sean
- Alicia Keys joins The Voice
- Beyonce and Jay Z plan to split
- Cranston to play LBJ on TV
- Philip Seymour Hoffman rejected trust funds for kids
- Kendall Jenner to quit KUWTK?
- Justin Bieber's mother pleads with fans over sexually explicit messages
- Love soldier Jada Pinkett Smith
- Jessica Simpson shares honeymoon photos
- Ellen DeGeneres gives up alcohol
- Eddie Cibrian rules out Brandi reunion
- Jessica Simpson rules out having more children
- Celebrity Scene
- Beyonce and Jay Z plan to split
- Julia Roberts blamed in sister's suicide note
- Cameron Diaz: Drew Barrymore rumour made me sick
- Jenny McCarthy fired from The View
- Channing Tatum spread skin disease
- Beyoncé Knowles fuels rumors of marital crisis
- Ashton Kutcher destined to be with Mila Kunis
- Lou Reed left 30 million
- Ellen DeGeneres makes a fortune selling off her new mansion
Ads by Google