Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Beauty queen must pay pageant $5M for defamation
NEW YORK -- A federal judge in New York has upheld an arbitrator's ruling that a Pennsylvania beauty queen must pay the Miss USA pageant $5 million for defaming Donald Trump's pageant organization.
Sheena Monnin resigned as Miss Pennsylvania last year, saying the Miss USA contest was rigged. She claimed another contestant learned the names of the top five finishers hours before the show was broadcast. Monnin said she decided to turn in her crown as soon as those same contestants were named during the show.
She posted a series of messages on Facebook and spoke publicly about her claims. Trump's Miss Universe Organization sued Monnin for defamation and an arbitrator ruled against her in December. The arbitrator said Monnin's allegations cost the pageant a $5 million fee from a potential 2013 sponsor.
Earlier this week, U.S. District Court Judge J. Paul Oetken upheld the arbitrator's decision. Monnin had sought to have it overturned based on three grounds: the arbitrator overstepped his authority, his decision disregarded law and she didn't know the arbitration hearing was taking place. The judge disagreed.
Monnin, of Cranberry, Pa., said in a Facebook post Thursday evening that she is glad the truth is out there, regardless of the outcome.
"This is not about me being a 'sore loser' or wanting my '15 minutes of fame"' she wrote. "This is about the MUO's admission under oath that they manipulate the judges' results to suit their own ends. This is not what they advertise to the public."
Pageant organizers claimed Monnin resigned because she disagreed with a decision to allow transgender contestants. They made public text from an email they said Monnin sent citing the decision to allow natural-born males into the competition as the reason for her resignation. A transgender contestant was initially denied entry to the Miss Universe Canada pageant because she wasn't born female, but Trump overruled that decision.
-- The Associated Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition July 6, 2013 G2
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 13 articles for today)9:15 AM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Mila Kunis gives birth to baby girl
- Victoria Beckham saves dress for daughter
- Lena Dunham felt 'ashamed' after date rape
- Robert Downey Jr.'s wife gave him an ultimatum
- Amal Alamuddin wanted 'Mr. Perfect'
- Selena Gomez is 'learning the hard way'
- Amanda Bynes thrown out of school
- Isla Fisher is pregnant
- Anne Hathaway messed up by fame
- Amal Alamuddin quit smoking for George Clooney
- Demi Moore offers Ashton Kutcher baby help
- Brad Pitt was great first boyfriend
- George Clooney gave photo to guests
- Jennifer Lopez in drunk-driving crash
- George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin's white wedding
- Carrie Underwood: Pregnancy news still sinking in
- Beyonce suffers on-stage wardrobe malfunction
- Billy Crystal breaks down at Robin Williams' memorial
- Amber Rose 'caught Wiz Khalifa cheating on her with twins'
- Lena Dunham was hospitalised because of diet
- Avril Lavigne and Chad Kroeger to split?
- No more blackjack for Affleck
- Zsa Zsa Gabor: Joan Rivers 'deserved' to die
- Joan Rivers leaves fortune to dogs
- Taylor Swift reveals female singer sabotaged Red tour
- Ireland Baldwin's girlfriend Angel welcomed into family
- Bruce Jenner files divorce response
- Paris Jackson sparks pregnancy rumours
- Lindsay Lohan: I rolled Whitney Houston's body bag
- Joan Rivers' secret suicide plan after dementia diagnosis
Ads by Google