Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Heigl reflects on career regrets
KATHERINE Heigl, applying the defibrillator paddles to her career with the upcoming NBC drama State of Affairs, told Marie Claire magazine how it felt when work offers dried up.
Her career was "my best friend for a long time (but) suddenly turned on me... I was taken by surprise and angry at it for betraying me." No mention of her notoriously cranky on-set demeanour.
Heigl admits she should have escaped the rom-com ghetto sooner, especially since most of those movies -- 27 Dresses, The Ugly Truth, Life as We Know It, etc. -- were inane. "It became a bit 'by rote' and, as a creative person, that can wear you down."
She considered bailing: "I was thinking I'd maybe open a knitting store... simplify." She moved to Utah and adopted two little girls with husband, Josh Kelley.
But now she's back. State of Affairs debuts Nov. 17.
A real class act
ACTRESS Amy Adams got caught trying to do a good deed in private.
On a flight from Detroit to Las Vegas the other day, she voluntarily gave her first-class seat to a uniformed U.S. soldier and took his economy seat. She made no fuss about it, having a flight attendant speak to the soldier, but another passenger, an ESPN broadcaster, spotted it and tweeted it.
Such is the state of the news industry today, reporters were waiting at MacCarran airport in Lost Wages to ask Adams about her gesture. "I didn't do it for attention for myself. I did it for attention for the troops," she said, never removing her sunglasses. That was all she'd say.
Russians stack the deck against House of Cards
I SEE by way of Foreign Policy magazine the Russians have refused permission for House of Cards to film in the United Nations Security Council chamber.
Netflix asked to film scenes for two Season 3 episodes of the Kevin Spacey drama in the room. UN secretary general Ban Ki-moon signed off, saying the project would improve awareness of the UN among Americans. But the Russians killed the idea, saying the chamber must always be available on short notice.
(They've got a point: The room is essential to the UN's unfailing knack for stalling, dodging, babbling, minimizing, excusing and turning a blind eye.)
House of Cards may be allowed to film elsewhere in the UN building.
Portia de Rossi was in rehab
PORTIA de Rossi spent 30 days getting help in rehab starting sometime in May, In Touch revealed recently.
The magazine adds Portia's wife Ellen DeGeneres visited her every weekend at Passages, a high-end rehab place in Malibu. Mel Gibson and David Hasselhoff have also been treated there.
Nobody who knows is saying just what de Rossi was being treated for, but a counsellor there was quoted as saying "the primary issue has to be a substance-abuse issue."
Jewel, hubby headed for divorce
GWYNETH Paltrow's pompous phrase "conscious uncoupling" -- she meant divorce -- brought widespread mockery to her and Chris Martin. Maybe the singer-songwriter Jewel will do better with her dopey euphemism.
Announcing her divorce from professional bull rider Ty Murray after six years of marriage and 16 years as a couple, Jewel Kilcher said they were having a "tender undoing."
On and on she goes, on her website jeweljk.com. ("... growth became tragically and undeniably stifled as a couple, and we believe we can find it again in setting each other free.")
The couple's son, Kase, turns three this week.
Stone denies fling with friend Banderas
NO no no, says Sharon Stone. She is not, repeat not, canoodling with Antonio Banderas. And because she was friends with Tony and Melanie Griffith during their 18 years of marriage before their recent split, she considers the story about her having a fling with Banderas to be "salacious, unkind, unfounded."
Grazia magazine broke the "news" of a recent Stone-Banderas hookup. Nonsense, says Sharon. "Antonio is a brother to me, and Melanie has been with me for each and every birth of my three children."
Hacker hijacks star's Twitter account
RELAX, Glee fans. That report about Chris Colfer getting fired from the show was a hoax.
Nobody was more surprised than the actor himself when his Twitter account announced he'd been canned because of "personal issues... Explanations will come shortly."
This turns out to have been hacking, not news.
The show will be back, complete with Colfer, for one last season starting this fall.
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition July 6, 2014 ??65524
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 19 articles for today)7:15 PM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Madonna's comedy plans
- Matchmaker mother Kelly Clarkson
- Ed Sheeran reveals he wore a girdle
- Ne-Yo needs three hat houses
- Kelly Osbourne quits 'Fashion Police'
- Taylor Swift: I'll still be single at 30
- Proud dad Ian Ziering
- Fergie was broke before Peas' hits
- Jennifer Lawrence slams rumours
- Khloé Kardashian 'terrified' about losing Lamar Odom
- John Travolta explains gaffe
- David Duchovny's ex wants to 'throttle him'
- Ellie Goulding: Cara's boobs are my best friends
- Kardashian family agree 100m deal
- Joan Rivers snubbed in Oscars' In Memoriam segment
- Lady Gaga in proposal prank
- 'Violent' seizures for Houston's daughter
- Sharon Osbourne's Oscars rant
- Jennifer Lopez slipped on dress
- Demi Lovato rushed to hospital
- As Whitney Houston's daughter remains hospitalized, haunting parallels emerge
- Charlie Hunnam doesn't trust iCloud
- Bruce Jenner involved in 'fatal' car accident
- Stephen Fry 'proud' of public's reaction to his marriage
- Theo James reads every day
- Will Smith bans kids from hanging out with Jenners
- Gordon Ramsay embarrassed by daughter
- Geraldine McEwan dies aged 82
- Bruce Jenner's mother confirms he's transitioning into woman
- 'Parks and Recreation' writer-producer Harris Wittels dies at 30; drugs suspected
Ads by Google