Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Cherry not speaking for network, CBC says
TORONTO -- Don Cherry isn't speaking for the CBC when he says women have no place in sports locker-rooms, the head of media relations for the public broadcaster said Monday.
But Chuck Thompson says the CBC has no plans to discipline him.
Thompson was reacting to the continued flak over Cherry's comments Saturday on his Coach's Corner segment of Hockey Night in Canada.
"Don has many opinions on a wide range of subjects and isn't shy about expressing them, this past Saturday night being no exception," said Thompson, verbally repeating almost word-for-word the statement he issued soon after the incident.
"That said, in as much as Don is hired to give hockey-related opinions on Coach's Corner, he speaks for himself and not the CBC."
Cherry, an often outspoken broadcaster, made the comments while discussing Chicago Blackhawks defenceman Duncan Keith, who delivered what some considered a sexist post-game putdown to a female radio reporter in Vancouver.
Keith has since apologized and said he meant no disrespect to women, but Cherry said he didn't believe the female reporter should have been allowed in the Blackhawks dressing room.
Thompson repeated that, as far as the CBC is concerned, Cherry's broadcast partner Ron MacLean provided balance to the discussion when he disagreed.
-- The Canadian Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition April 30, 2013 C2
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 50 articles for this week)2:15 AM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Kelly Osbourne had to quit Fashion Police
- Jerry Hall slams surgery
- Kim Kardashian West wants Beyonce to be her neighbour
- Faith Hill's pre-Oscars neck surgery
- Nikki Reed + Ian Somerhalder's light-hearted dispute
- Taylor Swift: I have enemies
- Lupita Nyong'o's stolen dress thrown over balcony
- Madonna's comedy plans
- Uma Thurman didn't want boring kids
- Khloé Kardashian 'terrified' about losing Lamar Odom
- John Travolta explains gaffe
- David Duchovny's ex wants to 'throttle him'
- Ellie Goulding: Cara's boobs are my best friends
- Madonna's comedy plans
- Joan Rivers snubbed in Oscars' In Memoriam segment
- Kardashian family agree 100m deal
- Lady Gaga in proposal prank
- Sharon Osbourne's Oscars rant
- Demi Lovato rushed to hospital
- Vanilla Ice 'in a mess'
- As Whitney Houston's daughter remains hospitalized, haunting parallels emerge
- Charlie Hunnam doesn't trust iCloud
- Bruce Jenner involved in 'fatal' car accident
- Stephen Fry 'proud' of public's reaction to his marriage
- Theo James reads every day
- Will Smith bans kids from hanging out with Jenners
- Gordon Ramsay embarrassed by daughter
- Bruce Jenner's mother confirms he's transitioning into woman
- 'Parks and Recreation' writer-producer Harris Wittels dies at 30; drugs suspected
- Julianne Moore: My children give me purpose
Ads by Google