Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Clothier helped Elvis establish signature style
MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- A relative says Bernard Lansky, the retailer who helped a young Elvis Presley establish his signature clothing style, has died.
Julie Lansky, the clothier's granddaughter, said the 85-year-old died Thursday at his Memphis home.
Lansky started his retail business in Memphis in 1946 with a $125 loan from his father, Samuel.
After the Second World War, the store started selling army surplus goods. When the supply dried up, he opened a high-fashion men's store.
Lansky supplied Presley with the pink and black shirts, pegged pants, two-toned shoes and other flashy duds in the 1950s.
Even though his style of dress changed over the years -- including sparkling jumpsuits -- Presley shopped at Lansky Bros. clothing store the rest of his life.
-- The Associated Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition November 16, 2012 D2
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 50 articles for this week)02/28/2015 7:15 PM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Madonna's comedy plans
- Matchmaker mother Kelly Clarkson
- Ed Sheeran reveals he wore a girdle
- Ne-Yo needs three hat houses
- Khloé Kardashian 'terrified' about losing Lamar Odom
- Kelly Osbourne quits 'Fashion Police'
- Taylor Swift: I'll still be single at 30
- Proud dad Ian Ziering
- Fergie was broke before Peas' hits
- Jennifer Lawrence slams rumours
- John Travolta explains gaffe
- David Duchovny's ex wants to 'throttle him'
- Ellie Goulding: Cara's boobs are my best friends
- Joan Rivers snubbed in Oscars' In Memoriam segment
- Kardashian family agree 100m deal
- Lady Gaga in proposal prank
- 'Violent' seizures for Houston's daughter
- Sharon Osbourne's Oscars rant
- Jennifer Lopez slipped on dress
- Demi Lovato rushed to hospital
- As Whitney Houston's daughter remains hospitalized, haunting parallels emerge
- Charlie Hunnam doesn't trust iCloud
- Bruce Jenner involved in 'fatal' car accident
- Stephen Fry 'proud' of public's reaction to his marriage
- Theo James reads every day
- Will Smith bans kids from hanging out with Jenners
- Gordon Ramsay embarrassed by daughter
- Bruce Jenner's mother confirms he's transitioning into woman
- Geraldine McEwan dies aged 82
- 'Parks and Recreation' writer-producer Harris Wittels dies at 30; drugs suspected
Ads by Google