Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Colbert adds Winnipeg to Canuck insult list
TORONTO -- Late-night talk show host Stephen Colbert has once again made Canada the butt of a joke.
The faux-conservative host of the satirical Colbert Report took to his show Wednesday night to confront Canadian critics who were apparently angry that the comedian referred to Windsor, Ont., as "Earth's rectum" in his new book, America Again: Re-becoming the Greatness We Never Weren't.
In a segment called Who's Attacking Me Now, Colbert claimed that the "maplestream" media in Canada had their "mittens in a bunch" over the apparent slam.
However, in a segment rife with groaning puns on Canuck stereotypes, the 48-year-old Colbert warned Canadians not to get their "tuques in a twist."
"As a journalist, it is my job to ask these probing questions," Colbert said.
"Could the Earth's rectum be Windsor? I don't know. It could just as easily be Winnipeg."
Colbert memorably took aim at his neighbour to the north prior to the 2010 Olympic Games, when he labelled Canucks "syrup suckers" and "ice-holes" because he thought U.S. speedskaters weren't getting enough practice time on Canadian ice.
He eventually made amends, heading to Vancouver during the Games to film an episode of his show in front of an adoring crowd.
On Wednesday, Colbert delighted in referencing a poll from the CBC website indicating that -- at the time -- roughly three-quarters of respondents believed the publicity brought by Colbert would be positive for Windsor.
"Apparently, the 'Earth's rectum' is an improvement over Windsor's previous reputation," he said.
"So you're welcome, Windsor. You just got the Colbert bump."
-- The Canadian Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition November 16, 2012 D2
Updated on Friday, November 16, 2012 at 9:11 AM CST: Image removed
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 19 articles for today)7:15 PM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Matchmaker mother Kelly Clarkson
- Ed Sheeran reveals he wore a girdle
- Madonna's comedy plans
- Ne-Yo needs three hat houses
- Kelly Osbourne quits 'Fashion Police'
- Jennifer Lawrence slams rumours
- Taylor Swift: I'll still be single at 30
- Fergie was broke before Peas' hits
- Proud dad Ian Ziering
- Jane Lynch remembers late co-star every day
- John Travolta explains gaffe
- David Duchovny's ex wants to 'throttle him'
- Ellie Goulding: Cara's boobs are my best friends
- Kardashian family agree 100m deal
- Joan Rivers snubbed in Oscars' In Memoriam segment
- Lady Gaga in proposal prank
- 'Violent' seizures for Houston's daughter
- Sharon Osbourne's Oscars rant
- Jennifer Lopez slipped on dress
- Demi Lovato rushed to hospital
- Gwyneth Paltrow steams her vagina
- Charlie Hunnam doesn't trust iCloud
- As Whitney Houston's daughter remains hospitalized, haunting parallels emerge
- Bruce Jenner involved in 'fatal' car accident
- Geraldine McEwan dies aged 82
- Stephen Fry 'proud' of public's reaction to his marriage
- Theo James reads every day
- Will Smith bans kids from hanging out with Jenners
- Gordon Ramsay embarrassed by daughter
- Bruce Jenner's mother confirms he's transitioning into woman
Ads by Google