Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Bourgeois is the new feminist
EVERY day brings another reason to love Carla Bruni. She positively emits light. She sings surprisingly well. She's married to one of the less-objectionable French politicians. She was in a Woody Allen movie. And she says things like this, to the French Vogue mag:
"There's no need to be feminist in my generation."
Carla expresses admiration for "pioneers who opened the breach," but says that's all over: "I'm not at all an active feminist. On the contrary, I'm a bourgeois. I love family life, I love doing the same thing every day."
REAL-ESTATE news: K.D. Lang (sorry, but I don't buy into the ostentatious affectation of lower-casing your initials) has bought not one but two loft-style condo properties in a building in hyper-cool Portland, Ore.
Must be fixer-uppers, though, because according the well-informer realestalker.com, Kathryn Dawn paid a mere $639,000 for the two places, which she now seems to have had cobbled together into one.
Last May she sold her home in L.A.'s Laurel Canyon, getting more than twice the price she paid for the new one.
No more kidding around
BRAD Pitt told E! News that the children are serious about wanting him to marry Angelina Jolie.
"We're getting a lot of pressure from the kids. We didn't realize how much it meant to them..."
The two have long said they won't get hitched until gay marriage is legal across America. But Brad proposed last May and Angie accepted.
He's 48. She's 37. The kids are between 11 and 4.
Journalists need love too
SPOTLIGHT couple: Scarlett Johansson's latest, according to US Weekly, is one Romain Dauriac, a French journalist.
(Wait. What? A journo with a major babe? Some mistake, surely. Sure enough, it turns out, says the N.Y. Post, that he's the former editor of Clark, "a French urban art magazine" and now "manages a creative agency," whatever that may mean.)
Movies definitely giving thanks
REMEMBER all those stories about how Hollywood movies are dying and terrible and nobody goes anymore? Yeah, well, say hello to the best five-day U.S. Thanksgiving cinema gross on record, $288 million, well ahead of the $256.8 million raked in in 2009.
Nikke Finke, at Deadline.com, had the numbers.
On the other hand, the movies that raked in all that green were not exactly classics: Breaking Dawn Part II led the pack, then Skyfall, then Steven Spielberg's Lincoln - possibly a decent film - and then something called Rise of the Guardians, etc. etc.
We're guessing this won't end well
WHEN Anna Nicole Smith OD'd, in 2007, her daughter Dannielynn Birkhead was just five months old. Now she's 6, and getting into modeling.
Her dad Larry Birkhead has signed the papers; watch for her in ads for Guess Kids spring 2013 line. You may recall that Anna Nicole was a "Guess girl" herself.
Birkhead, on Entertainment Tonight, said that "the first thing [Dannielynn] asked is 'When will I be on the shopping bags like Mommy?'"
How about The Spotted Lawsuit?
IN Manhattan there's a resto called The Spotted Pig, owned by celebrity chef Mario Batali and some others. The place is celeb-infested and therefore kind of famous.
Now Gordon Ramsay, not affiliated with the place in any way, has filed papers to register the same name for a new resto in London.
No comment from Batali et al, but food writer Anthony Bourdain is leading a chorus of contemptuous denunication, using words like "shameful" and "pathetic." Jamie Oliver blasted Ramsay, too.
One reason Ramsay has time for a new London project is that his Montreal one evaporated. His local partner in the Rotisserie Laurier project rebelled and dumped him last winter. The last I heard, Gordo was suing over that.
-- Postmedia News
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition December 2, 2012 ??65524
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 50 articles for this week)11/23/2014 5:15 PM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Justin Theroux warned by future father-in-law
- Jennifer Aniston disses Kim Kardashian West's nude photoshoot
- Lily Allen didn't enjoy sex before Sam
- Amber Heard 'unhappy' with Johnny Depp
- Beyoncé and Jay Z 'newlyweds' at Solange's wedding
- Benedict Cumberbatch's hope for new fiancee
- Zayn Malik ready to quit One Direction
- Kourtney Kardashian hints at Scott Disick split
- Taylor Swift's midriff mystery
- Selena Gomez 'emotional' ahead of American Music Awards
- Katherine Heigl sorry for her 'crappy impression'
- Kim Kardashian West adoption girl has no regrets
- Kelsey Grammer slammed by ex-wife
- Carrie Underwood learned baby news at dinner
- Richard Gere set for expensive divorce
- Kanye West 'obsessed' with Kim's photoshoot
- Michael Phelp's girlfriend was a boy
- Kim Kardashian West buying island?
- Blake Lively's best pal is envious of Ryan Reynolds
- Bruce Jenner lucky to be alive after crash
- Team Ghomeshi or Team CBC? It's impossible to take sides
- Jessie J: Fame is hard
- Streisand confirms couple still together
- Shades of grey
- Matthew McConaughey loves face cream
- Nicole Scherzinger feels lost
- Elle Macpherson happy about being 50
- Kim Kardashian West's photos 'were tampered with'
- Brooke Shields regrets Andre Agassi marriage
- Priscilla Presley: Elvis was the 'real deal'
Ads by Google