Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Garner takes her sunscreen very seriously
NEW YORK -- Jennifer Garner tries not to look at reviews of the outfits she wears because, inevitably, someone isn't going to like them.
"It's not good for my self-esteem," she said Wednesday while in New York to open the Neutrogena Sun Summit.
The exception was after the Oscars last month. Garner's violet-coloured, custom-made Gucci gown was a winner -- but that wasn't what she was looking for after husband Ben Affleck's film Argo won best picture. "I revelled in all those good pictures of him," she said.
Garner, a Neutrogena spokeswoman, practises what she preaches when it comes to sun safety. Her children make sure of it.
In her household, sunscreen is like seat belts: non-negotiable. Garner said while she was away Wednesday, the kids surely would remind their dad if he dropped them at school without their daily slathering.
"I think I once told my kids it was against the law not to wear sunscreen," she said.
Garner's appearance was followed by a panel discussion that included dermatologists, a NASA scientist and Mexican actress Sandra Echeverria.
An eager science student growing up, Garner, 40, said the conference's terminology -- and warnings -- about the ozone layer and ultraviolet rays isn't lost on her. She joked, though, that she wouldn't want to be quoted on exactly what the Helioplex formulation is or what vitamin C can do for the skin.
But she had her "a-ha" moment about sun damage in her 20s, when she was out with friends. "They all had big hats on, and I didn't."
"Suddenly you look one day and the sun damage is there ... and then you see it increase exponentially."
She'll take little credit for that Oscar night look -- calling it a team effort led by Rachel Zoe. The partnership between Zoe and Garner goes back more than a decade, with Garner as the stylist's first big Hollywood client.
"She knows I'm not going to wear super-crazy fashion," said Garner. Where Garner leans toward comfort, Zoe goes for fancy -- and "she usually wins."
Garner's outfit Wednesday -- an Oscar de la Renta sheath dress and pointy-toed pumps in black patent leather -- hit the right balance. In her casual style, Garner, wearing a smile, described the look as "just a little purple Oscar number."
-- The Associated Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition March 15, 2013 D2
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 12 articles for today)7:15 AM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Jennifer Aniston: Justin will shoot me if I have surgery
- Rihanna's granddad crashes record label meeting
- Angelina Jolie wants to learn to cook for Brad
- Ariana Grande 'shocked and upset' by Bette Midler criticism
- Victoria Beckham gets son pierced
- Gwen Stefani wants to 'disappear' from her children
- Lorde flirts with porn star
- Sober tweeter Anna Kendrick
- Michael Lohan marries Kate Major
- Kristen Bell donates $91.5k of baby supplies
- Jennifer Aniston disses Kim Kardashian West's nude photoshoot
- Kim Kardashian West adoption girl has no regrets
- Carrie Underwood learned baby news at dinner
- Kelsey Grammer slammed by ex-wife
- Bette Midler slams 'silly' Ariana Grande
- Richard Gere set for expensive divorce
- Michael Phelp's girlfriend was a boy
- Amber Heard 'unhappy' with Johnny Depp
- Kanye West 'obsessed' with Kim's photoshoot
- Reese Witherspoon defends Renee Zellweger
- Team Ghomeshi or Team CBC? It's impossible to take sides
- Jessie J: Fame is hard
- Streisand confirms couple still together
- Shades of grey
- Matthew McConaughey loves face cream
- Nicole Scherzinger feels lost
- Elle Macpherson happy about being 50
- Kim Kardashian West's photos 'were tampered with'
- Brooke Shields regrets Andre Agassi marriage
- Priscilla Presley: Elvis was the 'real deal'
Ads by Google