Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Hulk Hogan loses match against 'Fantastic Ford'
TORONTO -- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford rolled up his sleeves and got down to work -- defeating his childhood hero Hulk Hogan in a friendly arm-wrestling match.
The light-hearted blend of staged events -- part wrestling bravado, part media photo opportunity -- was held in a downtown Toronto hotel Friday to help kick off Fan Expo.
Walking into the room to the tune of Survivor's Eye of the Tiger, Ford wasted no time getting on stage, taking off his suit jacket and tie, rolling up his sleeves and untucking his shirt.
Hogan made a show of also rolling up a short sleeve on his red T-shirt before the two settled into their left-handed match.
The 14-time wrestling champion's biceps bulged as he started in on the smack talk.
"Oh, big man, oh that's all you got, huh," Hogan shouted.
"Oh brother, you know something? Not only am I going to rip this arm off, I'm going to take your job while I'm at it, brother. Mayor Hogan."
The mayor, with a wide grin on his face, clasped the edge of the table with his right hand and delivered his own line before leaping up from the table in victory.
"I own this town, man," Ford yelled.
Hogan later suggested Ford had missed his true calling, and came up with a wrestling name for the mayor: The Fantastic Ford.
The wrestler-turned reality TV star was in Toronto to hold a question-and-answer session at Fan Expo. The publicity stunt offered a reprieve to the controversial mayor, who in recent months has been dogged by allegations of drug use.
-- The Canadian Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition August 24, 2013 G2
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 16 articles for today)6:15 PM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Matchmaker mother Kelly Clarkson
- Ed Sheeran reveals he wore a girdle
- Kelly Osbourne quits 'Fashion Police'
- Jennifer Lawrence slams rumours
- Ne-Yo needs three hat houses
- Molly Sims's cravings have painful side effects
- Proud dad Ian Ziering
- Fergie was broke before Peas' hits
- Ryan Gosling gets new tattoo?
- Jane Lynch remembers late co-star every day
- John Travolta explains gaffe
- David Duchovny's ex wants to 'throttle him'
- Ellie Goulding: Cara's boobs are my best friends
- Kardashian family agree 100m deal
- Joan Rivers snubbed in Oscars' In Memoriam segment
- Lady Gaga in proposal prank
- 'Violent' seizures for Houston's daughter
- Sharon Osbourne's Oscars rant
- Jennifer Lopez slipped on dress
- Demi Lovato rushed to hospital
- Gwyneth Paltrow steams her vagina
- Charlie Hunnam doesn't trust iCloud
- As Whitney Houston's daughter remains hospitalized, haunting parallels emerge
- Bruce Jenner involved in 'fatal' car accident
- Geraldine McEwan dies aged 82
- Stephen Fry 'proud' of public's reaction to his marriage
- Theo James reads every day
- Will Smith bans kids from hanging out with Jenners
- Gordon Ramsay embarrassed by daughter
- Bruce Jenner's mother confirms he's transitioning into woman
Ads by Google