Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
L.A. detectives investigate Bieber for reckless driving
LOS ANGELES -- Los Angeles County Sheriff's detectives are investigating Justin Bieber for reckless driving after witnesses -- including former NFL star Keyshawn Johnson -- complained about the pop star's alleged speeding in their gated community in north Los Angeles County.
At about 8 p.m. Monday, Bieber allegedly drove his white Ferrari at freeway speeds in what is a 25 mph zone, Sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore said.
Johnson was outside with his three-year-old daughter who was preparing to get into a small electric car when Bieber zoomed by. Johnson was upset and got into his Prius, following Bieber to his nearby home. As the garage door was closing, Johnson put out his arm and stopped it, telling Bieber he wanted to talk about his reckless driving.
Whitmore said Bieber scurried into his home without speaking.
The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department received two calls and responded to the location. When they tried to talk to Bieber, however, they were also turned away.
"His security detail said he declined to talk to us based on the advice of counsel," Whitmore said.
Deputies interviewed two witnesses, including Johnson, and wrote up their report. They handed that off to detectives who are continuing to investigate the incident.
"Their eyewitness testimony to our deputies was definitive -- not only the speed, not only the vehicle, but Mr. Bieber was sitting and driving in the driver's side seat," Whitmore said.
Deputies plan to send a reckless driving report to the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office to consider filing misdemeanour charges in the next week or two.
Bieber's publicist did not immediately return a call for comment. Johnson declined to comment via ESPN, where he now works as a TV commentator.
Prosecutors are also looking at whether to charge Bieber for battery in a separate incident involving a neighbour, who complained the pop-star attacked and threatened him.
"We take this very seriously and if this actually did occur, which it appears that it did, it is unacceptable behaviour from anybody, anywhere, anytime," Whitmore said.
-- The Associated Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition May 30, 2013 C14
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 19 articles for today)7:15 PM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Matchmaker mother Kelly Clarkson
- Ed Sheeran reveals he wore a girdle
- Kelly Osbourne quits 'Fashion Police'
- Jennifer Lawrence slams rumours
- Ne-Yo needs three hat houses
- Fergie was broke before Peas' hits
- Molly Sims's cravings have painful side effects
- Proud dad Ian Ziering
- Taylor Swift: I'll still be single at 30
- Ryan Gosling gets new tattoo?
- John Travolta explains gaffe
- David Duchovny's ex wants to 'throttle him'
- Ellie Goulding: Cara's boobs are my best friends
- Kardashian family agree 100m deal
- Joan Rivers snubbed in Oscars' In Memoriam segment
- Lady Gaga in proposal prank
- 'Violent' seizures for Houston's daughter
- Sharon Osbourne's Oscars rant
- Jennifer Lopez slipped on dress
- Demi Lovato rushed to hospital
- Gwyneth Paltrow steams her vagina
- Charlie Hunnam doesn't trust iCloud
- As Whitney Houston's daughter remains hospitalized, haunting parallels emerge
- Bruce Jenner involved in 'fatal' car accident
- Geraldine McEwan dies aged 82
- Stephen Fry 'proud' of public's reaction to his marriage
- Theo James reads every day
- Will Smith bans kids from hanging out with Jenners
- Gordon Ramsay embarrassed by daughter
- Bruce Jenner's mother confirms he's transitioning into woman
Ads by Google