Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Legalize, tax weed for economy, Chong says
NEW YORK -- The Grammy Award-winning comedy duo Cheech and Chong based their 42-year career on counterculture humour with a particular emphasis on marijuana use. But these days Tommy Chong sees the recreational drug as something more than fodder for jokes about stoned hippies.
The 74-year-old comedian thinks legalizing marijuana on a federal level would offer numerous benefits, including a boost to the U.S. economy if it were taxed.
"Look at the situation we're in now. Sequesters. Cuts. Everything cut across the board. Now, the government is tapped into the biggest cash crop in the world," Chong said. "There's little manufacturing cost. You don't have to do anything except watch it grow and get a couple of hippies to cut it and then put it in a bag."
His ambitions for marijuana may be outsized, but he notes the potential medical uses that have already inspired some states to legalize the drug. Nearly 20 states have enacted laws to legalize medical marijuana, and two of them -- Colorado and Washington -- have totally legalized it. And at least 12 states have pending legislation to legalize for medical use.
"Hemp itself is going to save the world," Chong said.
Chong's comedy partner, Richard "Cheech" Marin, 66, thinks legalization will come in the next couple of years.
"The tipping point is 24 states to legalize medical marijuana, so it's coming soon," said Marin.
-- The Associated Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition May 17, 2013 D2
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 50 articles for this week)02/28/2015 7:15 PM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Madonna's comedy plans
- Matchmaker mother Kelly Clarkson
- Ed Sheeran reveals he wore a girdle
- Ne-Yo needs three hat houses
- Kelly Osbourne quits 'Fashion Police'
- Taylor Swift: I'll still be single at 30
- Khloé Kardashian 'terrified' about losing Lamar Odom
- Proud dad Ian Ziering
- Fergie was broke before Peas' hits
- Jennifer Lawrence slams rumours
- John Travolta explains gaffe
- David Duchovny's ex wants to 'throttle him'
- Ellie Goulding: Cara's boobs are my best friends
- Joan Rivers snubbed in Oscars' In Memoriam segment
- Kardashian family agree 100m deal
- Lady Gaga in proposal prank
- 'Violent' seizures for Houston's daughter
- Sharon Osbourne's Oscars rant
- Jennifer Lopez slipped on dress
- Demi Lovato rushed to hospital
- As Whitney Houston's daughter remains hospitalized, haunting parallels emerge
- Charlie Hunnam doesn't trust iCloud
- Bruce Jenner involved in 'fatal' car accident
- Stephen Fry 'proud' of public's reaction to his marriage
- Theo James reads every day
- Will Smith bans kids from hanging out with Jenners
- Gordon Ramsay embarrassed by daughter
- Bruce Jenner's mother confirms he's transitioning into woman
- Geraldine McEwan dies aged 82
- 'Parks and Recreation' writer-producer Harris Wittels dies at 30; drugs suspected
Ads by Google