Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Miss America returns to Jersey
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. -- There she is, Miss America, headed back to Atlantic City.
The Miss America pageant, a staple in Atlantic City for decades before it was moved to Las Vegas in 2006, is making a return, Gov. Chris Christie's spokesman Michael Drewniak confirmed Wednesday.
The Miss America pageant started as little more than a bathing suit revue. It broke viewership records in its heyday and bills itself as one of the world's largest scholarship programs for women. Like other pageants, it has struggled to stay relevant as national attitudes regarding women's rights have changed.
The news of the pageant's return to Atlantic City came as a surprise to the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority, which sponsored the pageant on the Las Vegas Strip in January, spokeswoman Courtney Fitzgerald said in a telephone interview. In a subsequent statement, she said the tourism organization wished the pageant well.
"Las Vegas is honoured to have hosted the Miss America pageant for the past seven years," she said. "We understand that moving the televised event to various cities showcases America's diverse destinations which represent our great country."
Pageant officials didn't immediately respond to after-hours messages seeking comment Wednesday.
Many details remained unclear, including whether the pageant would return to the elaborate show it had been for decades or continue as more of the reality show it became with its move to Las Vegas. Also unknown was where it would be broadcast and whether it is returning permanently
-- The Associated Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition February 15, 2013 D6
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 28 articles for today)7:15 PM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Kardashian family agree 100m deal
- Ed Sheeran reveals Ne-Yo wedding plans
- Jennifer Lopez 'open' to meeting man in a bar
- Bobbi Kristina Brown still in coma
- Kanye West's BRIT performance causes controversy
- Kim Kardashian West suffers BRITs selfie fail
- Robin Williams' daughter doesn't need an explanation
- Paris Hilton sent car by fan
- Lady Gaga celebrates engagement with fiance's co-stars
- Cher and Liza Minnelli support Madonna
- Theo James reads every day
- 'Parks and Recreation' writer-producer Harris Wittels dies at 30; drugs suspected
- John Travolta explains gaffe
- Kris Jenner 'furious' with Kanye West
- Ellie Goulding: Cara's boobs are my best friends
- David Duchovny's ex wants to 'throttle him'
- Scout Willis: I'm too sensitive for film career
- Joan Rivers snubbed in Oscars' In Memoriam segment
- Vanilla Ice 'in a mess'
- Lady Gaga in proposal prank
- Gwyneth Paltrow steams her vagina
- Charlie Hunnam doesn't trust iCloud
- As Whitney Houston's daughter remains hospitalized, haunting parallels emerge
- Bruce Jenner involved in 'fatal' car accident
- Geraldine McEwan dies aged 82
- Stephen Fry 'proud' of public's reaction to his marriage
- Theo James reads every day
- Will Smith bans kids from hanging out with Jenners
- Gordon Ramsay embarrassed by daughter
- Bruce Jenner's mother confirms he's transitioning into woman
Ads by Google