Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Police release audio of calls in alleged plot to murder Bieber
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- Newly released audio of phone calls made last November from a New Mexico prison is shedding new light on an alleged plot to murder Canadian teen pop star Justin Bieber.
Police say the calls were between Dana Martin, the 45-year-old prisoner accused of masterminding the plot, and one of the men he allegedly hired to carry out the gruesome plan.
In the tapes, Martin tells the nephew of a former jailhouse friend how to suffocate Bieber using a paisley scarf -- apparently his signature move.
"Tie it really, really tight, knot it in the front once really tight, and put in a knot, and that cuts off the oxygen, and then tie it in the back again," Martin tells Tanner Ruane.
"That just seals the deal," he adds.
In another clip, he asks Ruane whether his uncle, Mark Staake, has gone over "the Bieber thing" with him.
"Nah, the way I like to work, dude, the way I work -- I like to know as little as possible," Ruane replies.
At another point in the call, however, he tells Martin they have bought hedge clippers, which police have said the would-be killers were to use to castrate Bieber, his bodyguard and two other men unconnected with the star.
Authorities say Martin, who is serving two life sentences in a New Mexico prison for the killing of a 15-year-old girl, told them he had hatched the scheme after Bieber never returned messages he sent to the 18-year-old Beauty and a Beat singer.
Police recounted in an affidavit filed late last year in a New Mexico court that Martin, who has a tattoo of Bieber on his leg, told them the perceived slight was part of what led him to dream up the alleged murder plot.
They said Martin drew Staake into his scheme, and Staake brought in Ruane, his nephew and right-hand man.
Staake was released on probation at the end of October and started to track Bieber's whereabouts, Martin told police.
The murder was to take place in New York at the end of November, according to the affidavit, which was when Bieber was in the city to give a concert.
The plan was derailed when the accused would-be assassins accidentally ended up at the Canadian border.
The U.S. border agent found Staake had an outstanding probation violation warrant from New Mexico and he was arrested.
Martin and Ruane spoke on the phone later that day, and when Ruane told Martin that Staake had been arrested, Martin called off the plot.
In the phone call, which was recorded by authorities, Ruane expressed disappointment at Martin's decision, saying they had found one of the first two victims' homes and had brought a pair of hedge clippers for the castrations.
Staake and Ruane were arrested on charges of two counts each of conspiracy to commit murder and two counts each of conspiracy to commit aggravated battery.
-- The Canadian Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition February 21, 2013 $sourceSection0
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 12 articles for today)7:15 AM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Jennifer Aniston: Justin will shoot me if I have surgery
- Rihanna's granddad crashes record label meeting
- Angelina Jolie wants to learn to cook for Brad
- Ariana Grande 'shocked and upset' by Bette Midler criticism
- Victoria Beckham gets son pierced
- Gwen Stefani wants to 'disappear' from her children
- Lorde flirts with porn star
- Sober tweeter Anna Kendrick
- Michael Lohan marries Kate Major
- Kristen Bell donates $91.5k of baby supplies
- Jennifer Aniston disses Kim Kardashian West's nude photoshoot
- Kim Kardashian West adoption girl has no regrets
- Carrie Underwood learned baby news at dinner
- Kelsey Grammer slammed by ex-wife
- Bette Midler slams 'silly' Ariana Grande
- Richard Gere set for expensive divorce
- Michael Phelp's girlfriend was a boy
- Amber Heard 'unhappy' with Johnny Depp
- Kanye West 'obsessed' with Kim's photoshoot
- Reese Witherspoon defends Renee Zellweger
- Team Ghomeshi or Team CBC? It's impossible to take sides
- Jessie J: Fame is hard
- Streisand confirms couple still together
- Shades of grey
- Matthew McConaughey loves face cream
- Nicole Scherzinger feels lost
- Elle Macpherson happy about being 50
- Kim Kardashian West's photos 'were tampered with'
- Brooke Shields regrets Andre Agassi marriage
- Priscilla Presley: Elvis was the 'real deal'
Ads by Google