Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
PSY alters lyrics over fear they could offend Arabs
SEOUL, South Korea -- PSY says he will change the title and lyrics of his potential Gangnam Style followup over worries it could offend Arabs.
The announced title for the song can be written as Assarabia or Assaravia in English. It's slang used by South Koreans to express thrills. It suggests no ethnicity or body part, but worries have risen that Arabs might misinterpret the title and find it derogatory.
PSY said Monday on a South Korean social media website that he has decided to change the title. Some lyrics also will change.
After several Korean albums, PSY has promised future work in English but it isn't clear when. The Gangnam Style video with its catchy tune and much-imitated horse-riding dance has a record 1.44 billion views on YouTube since July.
-- The Associated Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition March 20, 2013 C2
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 50 articles for this week)02/28/2015 7:15 PM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Madonna's comedy plans
- Matchmaker mother Kelly Clarkson
- Ed Sheeran reveals he wore a girdle
- Ne-Yo needs three hat houses
- Khloé Kardashian 'terrified' about losing Lamar Odom
- Taylor Swift: I'll still be single at 30
- Kelly Osbourne quits 'Fashion Police'
- Proud dad Ian Ziering
- Fergie was broke before Peas' hits
- Jennifer Lawrence slams rumours
- John Travolta explains gaffe
- David Duchovny's ex wants to 'throttle him'
- Ellie Goulding: Cara's boobs are my best friends
- Joan Rivers snubbed in Oscars' In Memoriam segment
- Kardashian family agree 100m deal
- Lady Gaga in proposal prank
- 'Violent' seizures for Houston's daughter
- Sharon Osbourne's Oscars rant
- Jennifer Lopez slipped on dress
- Demi Lovato rushed to hospital
- As Whitney Houston's daughter remains hospitalized, haunting parallels emerge
- Charlie Hunnam doesn't trust iCloud
- Bruce Jenner involved in 'fatal' car accident
- Stephen Fry 'proud' of public's reaction to his marriage
- Theo James reads every day
- Will Smith bans kids from hanging out with Jenners
- Gordon Ramsay embarrassed by daughter
- Bruce Jenner's mother confirms he's transitioning into woman
- Geraldine McEwan dies aged 82
- 'Parks and Recreation' writer-producer Harris Wittels dies at 30; drugs suspected
Ads by Google