Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
PSY alters lyrics over fear they could offend Arabs
SEOUL, South Korea -- PSY says he will change the title and lyrics of his potential Gangnam Style followup over worries it could offend Arabs.
The announced title for the song can be written as Assarabia or Assaravia in English. It's slang used by South Koreans to express thrills. It suggests no ethnicity or body part, but worries have risen that Arabs might misinterpret the title and find it derogatory.
PSY said Monday on a South Korean social media website that he has decided to change the title. Some lyrics also will change.
After several Korean albums, PSY has promised future work in English but it isn't clear when. The Gangnam Style video with its catchy tune and much-imitated horse-riding dance has a record 1.44 billion views on YouTube since July.
-- The Associated Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition March 20, 2013 C2
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 12 articles for today)7:15 AM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Kelly Osbourne had to quit Fashion Police
- Faith Hill's pre-Oscars neck surgery
- Nikki Reed + Ian Somerhalder's light-hearted dispute
- Taylor Swift: I have enemies
- Lupita Nyong'o's stolen dress thrown over balcony
- Kim Kardashian West wants Beyonce to be her neighbour
- Jerry Hall slams surgery
- Nicole Scherzinger's cut ties with Lewis Hamilton
- Jennifer Lopez's cheery children
- Khloé Kardashian 'terrified' about losing Lamar Odom
- John Travolta explains gaffe
- David Duchovny's ex wants to 'throttle him'
- Ellie Goulding: Cara's boobs are my best friends
- Madonna's comedy plans
- Kardashian family agree 100m deal
- Lady Gaga in proposal prank
- Demi Lovato rushed to hospital
- Vanilla Ice 'in a mess'
- Sofia Vergara and Joe Manganiello postpone wedding
- Ed Sheeran reveals Ne-Yo wedding plans
- As Whitney Houston's daughter remains hospitalized, haunting parallels emerge
- Charlie Hunnam doesn't trust iCloud
- Bruce Jenner involved in 'fatal' car accident
- Stephen Fry 'proud' of public's reaction to his marriage
- Theo James reads every day
- Will Smith bans kids from hanging out with Jenners
- Gordon Ramsay embarrassed by daughter
- Bruce Jenner's mother confirms he's transitioning into woman
- 'Parks and Recreation' writer-producer Harris Wittels dies at 30; drugs suspected
- Julianne Moore: My children give me purpose
Ads by Google