Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Radio personality Kasem in critical condition
PORT ORCHARD, Wash. -- Ailing radio personality Casey Kasem was in critical condition with an infected bedsore at a Washington state hospital, as his daughter and wife headed to court for another hearing in a dispute over his care.
The 82-year-old Kasem was receiving intravenous antibiotics and other care Thursday for a serious pressure ulcer he had when he was admitted on Sunday, according to a statement from St. Anthony Hospital in Gig Harbor.
Hospital spokesman Scott Thompson said Friday he would make no comment beyond the statement.
Meanwhile, a hearing was scheduled later in the day in Kitsap County Superior Court in the dispute between Kasem's wife, Jean Kasem, and his daughter, Kerri Kasem, who has said in a court filing her father has a form of dementia.
Jean Kasem has been in control of her husband's medical care and has controlled access to him as his children from an earlier marriage contested who should make decisions about his care.
On May 20, while Kasem and his wife were in Washington state, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Daniel S. Murphy ordered Jean Kasem to comply with court orders allowing doctors to evaluate her husband and also permit Kerri Kasem to see him.
The judge also ordered Jean Kasem to surrender her husband's passport and temporarily suspended her powers to determine her husband's medical care.
The ruling came after Casey and Jean Kasem were tracked down by Kitsap County deputies on May 13 at the home of longtime family friends. Jean Kasem said they were on a family vacation. Kitsap County is west of Seattle.
Last week, a Washington state judge reiterated the order to allow visits by Kerri Kasem, who brought a doctor on Sunday and her father was taken to the hospital.
As Casey Kasem was taken out of the home, Jean Kasem tossed a package of ground meat at her stepdaughter.
"If you need to know why I did it -- when a person is about to pass away, there are always rabid dogs," Jean Kasem told reporters in response to a question after a court session Monday.
Kasem gained fame with his radio music-countdown shows, American Top 40 and Casey's Top 40, and he was the voice of Shaggy in the cartoon Scooby Doo.
-- The Associated Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition June 7, 2014 A24
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 7 articles for today)7:15 AM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Selena Gomez snubs Justin Bieber roast
- 'Violent' seizures for Houston's daughter
- Jessica Biel and Justin Timberlake are leaving LA
- Olivia Wilde: Pregnancy is 'terrifying'
- Christopher Plummer 'didn't want to' go to the Oscars
- Kelly Osbourne quits 'Fashion Police'
- Melissa Rauch allowed to cheat with Ninja Turtles
- Kelly Clarkson's husband is her first love
- Ariana 'almost died' on stage in malfunctioning lift
- The Kardashians threatened to quit E!
- Theo James reads every day
- John Travolta explains gaffe
- David Duchovny's ex wants to 'throttle him'
- Ellie Goulding: Cara's boobs are my best friends
- Kardashian family agree 100m deal
- Joan Rivers snubbed in Oscars' In Memoriam segment
- Lady Gaga in proposal prank
- Sharon Osbourne's Oscars rant
- Kris Jenner 'furious' with Kanye West
- Jennifer Lopez slipped on dress
- Gwyneth Paltrow steams her vagina
- Charlie Hunnam doesn't trust iCloud
- As Whitney Houston's daughter remains hospitalized, haunting parallels emerge
- Bruce Jenner involved in 'fatal' car accident
- Geraldine McEwan dies aged 82
- Stephen Fry 'proud' of public's reaction to his marriage
- Theo James reads every day
- Will Smith bans kids from hanging out with Jenners
- Gordon Ramsay embarrassed by daughter
- Bruce Jenner's mother confirms he's transitioning into woman
Ads by Google