Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Retirement talk rubs Trebek the wrong way
LOS ANGELES -- Speculation has been swirling recently that when Alex Trebek's contract is up in 2016, the long-running host of Jeopardy will finally retire.
But don't say that to Alex Trebek.
"Everybody's speculating on my retirement and I don't know why," Trebek said. "It's silly. Somebody asked me if I've given any thoughts to retiring. Well, yes, I've given thoughts to retiring, for crying out loud. I've been doing the show for 29 years. Why wouldn't I think about retiring? Everybody assumes from my having said that, that he's retiring. Well, no. I've been thinking about it. So allow me to think about it."
Reports recently speculated that Trebek would be stepping down at the end of the 2015-2016 season, when the host will be 76 years old. But according to Trebek, who is just 72 now, he's still enjoying the job and won't decide to quit until he feels he can't do it anymore.
"It'll probably happen very quickly," he said. "There won't be any fanfare. It'll be like the time I shaved my moustache on a whim. I'll just ask the director to leave me 20 or 30 seconds at the end of the program to say a few words and I'll say a few words and thank people and be on my way."
-- Los Angeles Times
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition April 30, 2013 C2
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 19 articles for today)7:15 PM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Matchmaker mother Kelly Clarkson
- Ed Sheeran reveals he wore a girdle
- Ne-Yo needs three hat houses
- Madonna's comedy plans
- Kelly Osbourne quits 'Fashion Police'
- Jennifer Lawrence slams rumours
- Fergie was broke before Peas' hits
- Proud dad Ian Ziering
- Taylor Swift: I'll still be single at 30
- Ryan Gosling gets new tattoo?
- John Travolta explains gaffe
- David Duchovny's ex wants to 'throttle him'
- Ellie Goulding: Cara's boobs are my best friends
- Kardashian family agree 100m deal
- Joan Rivers snubbed in Oscars' In Memoriam segment
- Lady Gaga in proposal prank
- 'Violent' seizures for Houston's daughter
- Sharon Osbourne's Oscars rant
- Jennifer Lopez slipped on dress
- Demi Lovato rushed to hospital
- Gwyneth Paltrow steams her vagina
- Charlie Hunnam doesn't trust iCloud
- As Whitney Houston's daughter remains hospitalized, haunting parallels emerge
- Bruce Jenner involved in 'fatal' car accident
- Geraldine McEwan dies aged 82
- Stephen Fry 'proud' of public's reaction to his marriage
- Theo James reads every day
- Will Smith bans kids from hanging out with Jenners
- Gordon Ramsay embarrassed by daughter
- Bruce Jenner's mother confirms he's transitioning into woman
Ads by Google