Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Retirement talk rubs Trebek the wrong way
LOS ANGELES -- Speculation has been swirling recently that when Alex Trebek's contract is up in 2016, the long-running host of Jeopardy will finally retire.
But don't say that to Alex Trebek.
"Everybody's speculating on my retirement and I don't know why," Trebek said. "It's silly. Somebody asked me if I've given any thoughts to retiring. Well, yes, I've given thoughts to retiring, for crying out loud. I've been doing the show for 29 years. Why wouldn't I think about retiring? Everybody assumes from my having said that, that he's retiring. Well, no. I've been thinking about it. So allow me to think about it."
Reports recently speculated that Trebek would be stepping down at the end of the 2015-2016 season, when the host will be 76 years old. But according to Trebek, who is just 72 now, he's still enjoying the job and won't decide to quit until he feels he can't do it anymore.
"It'll probably happen very quickly," he said. "There won't be any fanfare. It'll be like the time I shaved my moustache on a whim. I'll just ask the director to leave me 20 or 30 seconds at the end of the program to say a few words and I'll say a few words and thank people and be on my way."
-- Los Angeles Times
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition April 30, 2013 C2
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 33 articles for today)10:15 PM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Amber Rose 'caught Wiz Khalifa cheating on her with twins'
- Anne Hathaway messed up by fame
- Amanda Bynes thrown out of school
- Amal Alamuddin wanted 'Mr. Perfect'
- Miley Cyrus cheers up tattoo-hating brother
- Victoria Beckham saves dress for daughter
- Ben Affleck wanted 3D nudity
- Amal Alamuddin: Our wedding was romantic and elegant
- Lena Dunham felt 'ashamed' after date rape
- Isla Fisher is pregnant
- Brad Pitt was great first boyfriend
- Demi Moore offers Ashton Kutcher baby help
- George Clooney gave photo to guests
- Beyonce suffers on-stage wardrobe malfunction
- Hugh Jackman's wife slams 'lucky' tag
- Jennifer Lopez in drunk-driving crash
- George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin's white wedding
- Carrie Underwood: Pregnancy news still sinking in
- Amber Rose had cheating suspicions
- Billy Crystal breaks down at Robin Williams' memorial
- Avril Lavigne and Chad Kroeger to split?
- No more blackjack for Affleck
- Zsa Zsa Gabor: Joan Rivers 'deserved' to die
- Joan Rivers leaves fortune to dogs
- Taylor Swift reveals female singer sabotaged Red tour
- Ireland Baldwin's girlfriend Angel welcomed into family
- Bruce Jenner files divorce response
- Paris Jackson sparks pregnancy rumours
- Lindsay Lohan: I rolled Whitney Houston's body bag
- Joan Rivers' secret suicide plan after dementia diagnosis
Ads by Google