Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Rights advocate Takei appears in Archie comic
PHILADELPHIA -- Mr. Sulu in Riverdale? Oh my!
Actor and equal rights advocate George Takei, whose portrayal of the Star Trek character in television and film has made him a science-fiction legend, is crossing a new frontier this week by appearing as himself in issue No. 6 of Archie Comics' Kevin Keller, a series about Riverdale's only gay teenager.
Takei, who is also gay, said his appearance in the issue that is released Wednesday dovetails nicely with his real-life advocacy for equal rights because it helps bring home his message that anyone can aspire to be what they want to be no matter who they are.
"With Archie Comics, it's a fun way and a natural way and an ideal way of advocating happily," Takei said.
Jon Goldwater, Archie Comics' co-chief executive officer, said writer and artist Dan Parent "met George at a convention and asked him if he'd be interested in appearing in the Kevin Keller comic, and being a huge Star Trek fan I flipped when he agreed. Sulu was always my favourite character so I said do whatever it takes to get him in the comic."
In the story Takei is the subject of an essay by Keller who cites him as an inspirational hero -- not just for his acting -- but his advocating on behalf of Asian-Americans and gays and lesbians, too.
-- The Associated Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition December 5, 2012 C2
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 26 articles for today)6:15 PM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Kardashian family agree 100m deal
- Ed Sheeran reveals Ne-Yo wedding plans
- Jennifer Lopez 'open' to meeting man in a bar
- Bobbi Kristina Brown still in coma
- Kanye West's BRIT performance causes controversy
- Kim Kardashian West suffers BRITs selfie fail
- Paris Hilton sent car by fan
- Robin Williams' daughter doesn't need an explanation
- Bobbi Kristina Brown is being taken out of coma
- Lady Gaga celebrates engagement with fiance's co-stars
- Theo James reads every day
- 'Parks and Recreation' writer-producer Harris Wittels dies at 30; drugs suspected
- John Travolta explains gaffe
- Kris Jenner 'furious' with Kanye West
- Ellie Goulding: Cara's boobs are my best friends
- David Duchovny's ex wants to 'throttle him'
- Scout Willis: I'm too sensitive for film career
- Joan Rivers snubbed in Oscars' In Memoriam segment
- Vanilla Ice 'in a mess'
- Lady Gaga in proposal prank
- Gwyneth Paltrow steams her vagina
- Charlie Hunnam doesn't trust iCloud
- As Whitney Houston's daughter remains hospitalized, haunting parallels emerge
- Bruce Jenner involved in 'fatal' car accident
- Geraldine McEwan dies aged 82
- Stephen Fry 'proud' of public's reaction to his marriage
- Theo James reads every day
- Will Smith bans kids from hanging out with Jenners
- Gordon Ramsay embarrassed by daughter
- Bruce Jenner's mother confirms he's transitioning into woman
Ads by Google