Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Wacky or tacky, we couldn't look away from these celebs
THIS year, Hollywood reminded us of one long Kanye West rant -- somewhat intelligible yet completely nonsensical; intriguing but annoying; and something you wanted to ignore but just could not look away.
How else to describe the feeling we had after watching West and Kim Kardashian simulate the conception of their daughter North West with the video Bound 2? Or hearing about another profane Alec Baldwin meltdown? Or watching Lady Gaga and R. Kelly grinding up against each other on Saturday Night Live? Miley twerking with little people? Or digesting the news that Simon Cowell will be someone's father?
It was bewildering, off-putting, jarring -- yet entertaining at the same time. As bad as celebrity antics were this year, they remained our guilty pleasure. We'll never admit it, but these are the moments that had us riveted in 2013.
Isn't the cover of US Weekly enough?: Kanye West had many righteous things to rage about this year, from the fashion industry not giving him credit for brilliant, life-changing designs like leather jogging pants, to not getting respect from President Obama. But nothing seemed to upset him more than Vogue's apparent refusal to put his baby mama, Kim Kardashian, on the magazine cover. He likened her to this generation's Marilyn Monroe and scoffed that two-time Vogue cover girl Michelle Obama couldn't Instagram a selfie photo of her nearly bare backside like Kim and cause the stir that Kardashian did. We see a rant about an IRS audit coming in 2015.
At least he got out of the Kardashian Christmas card: Khloe Kardashian called it quits with troubled basketball star Lamar Odom after four years of marriage and months of endless tabloid headlines juicier than anything we'd seen in their reality show. The last straw for Kardashian allegedly came after video surfaced of a shirtless Odom and a male friend rapping semi-incoherently about smoking weed and scoring with lots of women.
Can we stop now? Please?: This year felt as if Miley Cyrus plowed into our consciousness with a concrete wrecking ball -- oh wait, that really did happen. From her twerk-a-thon at awards shows to her nearly nude poses to that now-infamous tongue, we saw too many different sides (not to mention the backside) of the former teen queen. Please tell us it was all a dream -- and Billy Ray is going to pop out and explain to Hannah Montana what can happen when you eat brownies but you don't know who baked them.
We stopped Beliebing a while ago: What happened to our favourite teen moppet? During the past year, Justin Bieber went on a world tour of mayhem, from speeding in the streets of Los Angeles, to suggestions of smoking weed to spraying illegal graffiti in Colombia to stepping on the Argentine flag (he said he meant no offence). We expected more from a young Canadian lad. Let's hope Toronto Mayor Rob Ford hasn't become his new role model.
A recipe for trouble: Paula Deen let fly a career-ender when, during a deposition in a racial-discrimination case, she admitted to using the N-word and described the vision she had of using all-black waiters to serve in a mock plantation scenario. Deen fell on her butter knife during a tearful, defiant interview with Matt Lauer on the Today show, but her empire crumbled, with everyone from Walmart to the Food Network dropping her like a hot cinnamon roll.
Paying tribute, Al Jolson style: Julianne Hough's decision to don blackface for Halloween to portray a character from the Netflix show Orange is the New Black sparked an uproar, and drew an eventual apology from the actress, who said she never intended to hurt anyone.
Talk about watching your mouth: Michael Douglas caused a stir -- and in some circles, perhaps a panic -- when, in an interview, he was quoted suggesting he got his throat cancer from oral sex (though he later backtracked). We're hoping it's just a coincidence he and Catherine Zeta-Jones announced a trial separation a few months later.
Best performance on film: Goes to Reese Witherspoon. Unfortunately, it was on a police video cam, not a movie screen. Witherspoon made headlines when she was arrested for drunkenly interfering in an officer's attempt to arrest her husband on a DUI charge. Witherspoon immediately went into character development, telling the officer she was pregnant (an admitted lie). She also trotted out that well-worn line of fading stars: "Do you know my name?" Given the box-office performance of her last few films, she should have expected he wouldn't.
-- The Associated Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition December 27, 2013 0
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 18 articles for today)7:15 PM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Mel C and Victoria Beckham won't attend Geri Halliwell's wedding
- Jon Hamm: Jennifer Westfeldt is my life guru
- Kris Humphries says sorry for Bruce Jenner tweet
- Bruce Jenner's ex-wife Linda: 'Embrace' his decision
- Kanye West's dad didn't like North name
- Carly Rae Jepsen loved directing Tom Hanks
- Lena Dunham: Rape left me 'powerless'
- David Beckham planning 40th birthday party in Morocco
- Bruce Jenner's suicide bid
- Chris Pratt: My son thinks I'm a firefighter
- Chris Martin's 'parting gifts' for Gwyneth
- Bobbi Kristina Brown has 'irreversible brain damage'
- Bobbi Kristina Brown off life support
- Bruce Jenner's shocked ex-girlfriend
- Dr. Phil: Bruce Jenner is too old for gender transition
- Sawyer Sweeten dies aged 19
- Royal baby won't be named Charlotte
- Russell Crowe's rugby team wrecked his marriage
- Justin Timberlake shares first picture of son
- Renée Zellweger is 'very happy'
- Selena Gomez 'enjoying life' after Zedd Split
- Cynthia Lennon dies aged 75
- Cyber hackers leak nude photos of Kelly Brook
- Bruce Jenner in tears after will bombshell
- Antonio Banderas' phone ban
- Rebel Wilson was friendless at school
- Jon Hamm's Mad Men grief
- Antonio Banderas: Nicole didn't cause split
- Selena Gomez 'freaking out' over Justin Bieber's album
- Chris Martin's 'parting gifts' for Gwyneth
Ads by Google