Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Yoko thankful McCartney over grudge
NEW YORK -- Yoko Ono says she's thankful Paul McCartney appears to have gotten over his grudge against her.
McCartney, in a recent Rolling Stone interview, said he's getting along fine with the widow of John Lennon, his old songwriting partner. The bad feelings had gone back decades, to when the Beatles were falling apart and other group members resented the appearance of Lennon's new girlfriend in the recording studio.
McCartney said that time was a great healer and thought that "if John loved her, there's got to be something. He's not stupid." He said once he decided to let go of his grudge that they've been getting along fine.
Ono, in an interview with The Associated Press, said Wednesday it was good to hear those words from McCartney and "I'm very thankful."
"I never felt too bad about Paul," she said. "He was my husband's partner and they did a great job and all that. They seemed to have a lot of fun, and I respected that."
Some of the bad feelings had persisted in the post-Beatles years, as Ono was a regular partner in business affairs surrounding the group after Lennon's death in 1980 -- perhaps most notably when McCartney expressed a desire to change songwriting credits to "McCartney-Lennon" instead of "Lennon-McCartney" for some of the songs most associated with him.
McCartney told Rolling Stone he admires Ono's work. She's still making and releasing new music at age 80, like McCartney is at age 71.
Said McCartney: "She's badass."
"Well, he's a rocker," Ono said.
-- The Associated Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition November 1, 2013 D2
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 50 articles for this week)2:15 AM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Gwen Stefani wants to 'disappear' from her children
- Jennifer Aniston: Justin will shoot me if I have surgery
- Sober tweeter Anna Kendrick
- Lorde flirts with porn star
- Victoria Beckham gets son pierced
- Michael Lohan marries Kate Major
- Angelina Jolie wants to learn to cook for Brad
- Rihanna's granddad crashes record label meeting
- Ariana Grande 'shocked and upset' by Bette Midler criticism
- Fergie teaches son about Christmas
- Kim Kardashian West adoption girl has no regrets
- Jennifer Aniston disses Kim Kardashian West's nude photoshoot
- Kelsey Grammer slammed by ex-wife
- Carrie Underwood learned baby news at dinner
- Bette Midler slams 'silly' Ariana Grande
- Richard Gere set for expensive divorce
- Michael Phelp's girlfriend was a boy
- Amber Heard 'unhappy' with Johnny Depp
- Kanye West 'obsessed' with Kim's photoshoot
- Reese Witherspoon defends Renee Zellweger
- Team Ghomeshi or Team CBC? It's impossible to take sides
- Jessie J: Fame is hard
- Streisand confirms couple still together
- Shades of grey
- Matthew McConaughey loves face cream
- Nicole Scherzinger feels lost
- Elle Macpherson happy about being 50
- Kim Kardashian West's photos 'were tampered with'
- Brooke Shields regrets Andre Agassi marriage
- Priscilla Presley: Elvis was the 'real deal'
Ads by Google