Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Top 5 shows this week
Tonight, The Zoo. What sets this Greek power metal band apart from countless other similar-sounding European groups is guitar god Gus G., who replaced Zakk Wylde as Ozzy Osbourne's guitarist in 2009. Admission is $25.
Tonight, Times Change(d). Fans of Canadiana should check out Tim Hus, who has been championed as the successor to Stompin' Tom Connors by none other than Stompin' Tom himself. Admission is $10.
Friday and Saturday, Pyramid Cabaret. Legendary blues guitarist Johnny Winter, 67, released his first single in 1959 and never stopped. His new album, Roots, is a collection of covers of songs by classic blues artists such as Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson and Elmore James. Tickets are $49.50 at Kustom Kulture and hightideconcerts.net
Pantages Playhouse Theatre, Saturday. British six-string master Jeff Beck -- born the same year as Winter, 1944 -- earned his guitar-hero stripes as Eric Clapton's replacement in the Yardbirds before forming the Jeff Beck Group with Rod Stewart and Ron Wood. His newest album, Jeff Beck's Rock 'N' Roll Party, is a tribute to the late Les Paul. The concert is sold out; if tickets are released day of show, they will be $86.50 at the Pantages box office.
Saturday, Garrick Theatre. This Australian roots-dance outfit incorporates slide guitar and an electric didgeridoo into its rhythmic mix. The trio was a hit at last year's folk festival and will play a double headline show with Vancouver world-dance group Delhi 2 Dublin. Tickets are $38 at Ticketmaster and the Folk Fest Music Store.
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition October 20, 2011 E7
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 37 articles for this week)07/23/2014 11:27 AM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Presidential performance
- Drug trial of ex-'X Factor' judge collapses over claim reporter known as 'Fake Sheik' lied
- Ryan Adams in town Oct. 12
- Death at B.C. music festival prompts security concerns from concertgoer
- Weird Al Yankovic thriving again, but says he might not make any more albums
- Dirty Daddy: Bob Saget comes clean about sullying himself with tell-all memoir
- Celine Dion says husband Rene Angelil doing well in recovery from cancer
- Fred Eaglesmith, Fast Romantics, coming to town
- Texas blues legend Johnny Winter dies at age 70 in Zurich amid European tour
- Shania Twain to wrap 2-year Las Vegas residency December; announces 16 new shows
- Getting drenched in the rain part of Countryfest experience
- Bublé delivers slick show
- Thicke as a brick
- Countryfest: community-focused
- Folk festival attendance down
- Rowdy, pardner
- Early birds seek Folk Fest camping sites
- Raitt brings legendary chops to festival opener
- Daylong rain doesn't stop final-day Folk Fest sparks
- Presidential performance
Ads by Google