The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
A look at key songs written by Gerry Goffin, Carole King's ex-husband and songwriting partner
NEW YORK, N.Y. - Gerry Goffin might have been a chemist, but when it came to music, he was a scientist of songwriting.
Goffin began his songwriting career with ex-wife Carole King, who he met at Queens College, where he studied chemistry. The duo went on to craft songs that have become American classics, from "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman" to "The Loco-Motion."
And without King, Goffin was still a powerhouse: He collaborated with the likes of Michael Masser and Barry Goldberg to write hits including the Oscar-nominated "Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)," recorded by Diana Ross, and Whitney Houston's "Saving All My Love for You," which won the late icon her first Grammy Award.
Goffin died Thursday at his home in Los Angeles at age 75. Here's a look at his key songs, written with King and without her.
Gerry Goffin's key songs written with Carole King:
— "Will You Love Me Tomorrow," The Shirelles
— "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman," Aretha Franklin
— "Take Good Care of My Baby," Bobby Vee
— "The Loco-Motion," Little Eva
— "Go Away Little Girl," Steve Lawrence
— "Pleasant Valley Sunday," The Monkees
Gerry Goffin's key songs written without Carole King:
— "Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)," Diana Ross
— "I've Got to Use My Imagination," Gladys Knight and the Pips
— "Saving All My Love for You," Whitney Houston
— "Run to Him," Bobby Vee
— "Miss You Like Crazy," Natalie Cole
— "Who Put the Bomp (In the Bomp Bomp Bomp Bomp)," Barry Mann
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Photo Store Gallery
- Presidential performance
- Drug trial of ex-'X Factor' judge collapses over claim reporter known as 'Fake Sheik' lied
- Ryan Adams in town Oct. 12
- Death at B.C. music festival prompts security concerns from concertgoer
- Weird Al Yankovic thriving again, but says he might not make any more albums
- Dirty Daddy: Bob Saget comes clean about sullying himself with tell-all memoir
- Fred Eaglesmith, Fast Romantics, coming to town
- Texas blues legend Johnny Winter dies at age 70 in Zurich amid European tour
- Celine Dion says husband Rene Angelil doing well in recovery from cancer
- Shania Twain to wrap 2-year Las Vegas residency December; announces 16 new shows
- Getting drenched in the rain part of Countryfest experience
- Bublé delivers slick show
- Thicke as a brick
- Countryfest: community-focused
- Folk festival attendance down
- Rowdy, pardner
- Early birds seek Folk Fest camping sites
- Raitt brings legendary chops to festival opener
- Daylong rain doesn't stop final-day Folk Fest sparks
- Presidential performance
Ads by Google