The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
AP Exclusive: Beyonce, Jay Z, Solange say they're moving past video showing elevator attack
NEW YORK, N.Y. - Jay Z, Beyonce and Solange say "families have problems and we're no different" after a video leaked of Beyonce's sister attacking the rap mogul in a hotel elevator.
In an exclusive statement to The Associated Press on Thursday, the trio said they have worked through their differences and moved on since the video emerged this week showing Solange kicking Jay Z as Beyonce looked on.
"As a result of the public release of the elevator security footage from Monday, May 5th, there has been a great deal of speculation about what triggered the unfortunate incident. But the most important thing is that our family has worked through it," the statement said. "Jay and Solange each assume their share of responsibility for what has occurred. They both acknowledge their role in this private matter that has played out in the public. They both have apologized to each other and we have moved forward as a united family."
It was the first comment the performers had made since the website TMZ posted the 3-minute video on Monday, saying it was shot last week inside the Standard Hotel. The video, which does not have audio, shows Solange attacking Jay Z in Beyonce's presence; a security guard intervenes. The footage shows the performers in the outfits they wore to the Met Gala.
"The reports of Solange being intoxicated or displaying erratic behaviour throughout that evening are simply false," the statement continued. "At the end of the day families have problems and we're no different. We love each other and above all we are family. We've put this behind us and hope everyone else will do the same."
The hotel said Wednesday it had fired the person who recorded the video.
Beyonce and Jay Z, who were married in 2008, will kick off their co-headlining "On the Run Tour" on June 25 in Miami.
Follow Mesfin Fekadu at http://www.twitter.com/MusicMesfin
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 34 articles for this week)07/23/2014 11:27 AM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Presidential performance
- Drug trial of ex-'X Factor' judge collapses over claim reporter known as 'Fake Sheik' lied
- Ryan Adams in town Oct. 12
- Death at B.C. music festival prompts security concerns from concertgoer
- Weird Al Yankovic thriving again, but says he might not make any more albums
- Dirty Daddy: Bob Saget comes clean about sullying himself with tell-all memoir
- Celine Dion says husband Rene Angelil doing well in recovery from cancer
- Fred Eaglesmith, Fast Romantics, coming to town
- Texas blues legend Johnny Winter dies at age 70 in Zurich amid European tour
- Shania Twain to wrap 2-year Las Vegas residency December; announces 16 new shows
- Getting drenched in the rain part of Countryfest experience
- Bublé delivers slick show
- Thicke as a brick
- Countryfest: community-focused
- Folk festival attendance down
- Rowdy, pardner
- Early birds seek Folk Fest camping sites
- Raitt brings legendary chops to festival opener
- Daylong rain doesn't stop final-day Folk Fest sparks
- Presidential performance
Ads by Google