The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Garth Brooks, whose music isn't on iTunes, will make songs available digitally on his own site

  • Print
Country music star Garth Brooks speaks at a news conference on Thursday, July 10, 2014, in Nashville, Tenn. Brooks, one of the last musicians to refuse put his music on iTunes, said he will make his songs available digitally though his own website. (AP Photo/Mark Humphrey)

Enlarge Image

Country music star Garth Brooks speaks at a news conference on Thursday, July 10, 2014, in Nashville, Tenn. Brooks, one of the last musicians to refuse put his music on iTunes, said he will make his songs available digitally though his own website. (AP Photo/Mark Humphrey)

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Garth Brooks is finally embracing digital music, but he's doing it his own way.

Brooks, one of the last holdout big-name musicians still refusing to put his music on iTunes, said Thursday he will make his back catalogue of hits and his new music available for download, but only through his own website. He said the digital downloads of previous music would be available in a few weeks to tide fans over until a new album comes out later this year.

The 52-year-old country star remains one of music's top-selling artists, with 134 million albums sold, according to the Recording Industry Association of America. He has said in the past that he had no animosity toward Apple, but disagreed with its approach to selling music.

Other performers who refused to join iTunes but later reached deals include AC/DC, Radiohead and Led Zeppelin. ITunes was launched in 2001.

"So, we'll be doing our digital the best way we can, the only way we know how, because we are the only ones who kind of play our own way," Brooks said at a press conference in Nashville.

He also announced a new deal with the Sony Music label, which will put out an album of his first new music since 2001. Brooks said it would likely be issued sometime around Black Friday. The first city on his tour will be announced on July 15, according to Sony.

Brooks entered semi-retirement in 2001 near the height of his popularity to be with his three daughters and his wife, Trisha Yearwood. Since then he has performed an extended run in Las Vegas and done a few charity shows.

The Country Music Hall of Fame member said he's grateful for his fans sticking around during his time off from the road.

"A second half of a career isn't granted," Brooks said. "I'm not saying that's what I have now, but you have given me a shot to have it."

But he acknowledged a rocky start to his return to the stage. A series of Ireland shows later this month billed as his "Comeback Special" was cancelled after a battle between venue owners and local residents.

Brooks had expanded the number of shows he was to play at Croke Park stadium in Dublin because of demand, but the Dublin City Council last week refused to grant permission for five shows, saying they would cause "an unacceptable level of disruption" for residents and businesses.

Brooks said tickets had already been sold for five shows and if he couldn't play them all, he would play none.

"And if the prime minister himself wants to talk to me, I will crawl, swim, I will fly over there this weekend," Brooks said. "Sit in front of him, I will drop on my knees and beg for those 400,000 people to just have fun and let them come see."

__

Online:

http://Garthbrooks.com

__

Follow Kristin M. Hall on Twitter at http://twitter.com/kmhall

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Stuart Murray announces musical RightsFest for CMHR opening weekend

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Geese fight as a male defends his nesting site at the duck pond at St Vital Park Thursday morning- See Bryksa’s Goose a Day Photo- Day 08- May 10, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • A Yellow-bellied Sapsucker hangs out on a birch tree in St. Vital. The Yellow-bellied Sapsucker is considered a keystone species. Other species take advantage of the holes that the birds make in trees. A group of sapsuckers are collectively known as a

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

What should the city do with the 102-year-old Arlington Street bridge?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google