Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
If you have to ask about twerking, it's too late
NEW YORK -- The day after the MTV Video Music Awards came with a few more people Googling the phrase: "What is twerking?"
It's been a popular search all summer, ever since Miley Cyrus, America's former teen sweetheart, decided her pathway to chart-topping success involved doing freaky things with stuffed animals and gyrating her booty at high speeds. Newly anointed as an expert, Cyrus has been twerking her way up the charts with the song We Can't Stop, the catchy groove that has been in Billboard's top 10 for most of the summer.
For those who are still unclear, twerking is a dance, it's all about the movement of the rump -- and it's been around longer than Miley's been alive. It's been called different things at different times, but anyone who saw the video Rump Shaker, has been to a strip club or has seen the majority of hip-hop videos over the years probably has a good idea of what twerking is.
Cyrus' appropriation of the dance for her ratchet makeover (go ahead and Google that) has put a new spotlight on the move, and made it the dance du jour. But before you start taking twerking lessons from your local YMCA or the Internet, you might want to find a better way to invest your time. All signs are pointing to the fact that twerking, while not on its way out, may have already reached its peak:
- A former Disney star has become the poster child for twerking.
- Your Zumba teacher says, "OK ladies -- now it's time to twerk!"
- There are twerk dance teams.
- Twerking instructional videos on YouTube have millions of views.
- There are videos of pets twerking with thousands of views.
- Selena Gomez says she taught Ethan Hawke how to do it.
- There's a Wikipedia entry on twerking.
- Rapper Juicy J briefly offered a twerking college scholarship.
- The Associated Press is doing a story on twerking.
-- The Associated Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition August 28, 2013 C3
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Photo Store Gallery
- Presidential performance
- Drug trial of ex-'X Factor' judge collapses over claim reporter known as 'Fake Sheik' lied
- Ryan Adams in town Oct. 12
- Death at B.C. music festival prompts security concerns from concertgoer
- Weird Al Yankovic thriving again, but says he might not make any more albums
- Dirty Daddy: Bob Saget comes clean about sullying himself with tell-all memoir
- Fred Eaglesmith, Fast Romantics, coming to town
- Celine Dion says husband Rene Angelil doing well in recovery from cancer
- Texas blues legend Johnny Winter dies at age 70 in Zurich amid European tour
- Shania Twain to wrap 2-year Las Vegas residency December; announces 16 new shows
- Getting drenched in the rain part of Countryfest experience
- Bublé delivers slick show
- Thicke as a brick
- Countryfest: community-focused
- Folk festival attendance down
- Rowdy, pardner
- Early birds seek Folk Fest camping sites
- Raitt brings legendary chops to festival opener
- Daylong rain doesn't stop final-day Folk Fest sparks
- Presidential performance
Ads by Google