The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

La Scala ousts general director after 1st season in latest melodrama to roil opera house

  • Print

MILAN - The board of La Scala voted Thursday to oust its incoming general director at the end of his first season in the latest behind-the-scenes melodrama to roil the fabled opera house.

Salzburg Festival director Alexander Pereira had been brought on for five seasons, but the board voted to oust him after the upcoming 2014-2015 season amid allegations of a conflict of interest.

La Scala board chairman Giuliano Pisapia, who is also Milan's mayor, said Pereira overreached his powers by making a deal for La Scala to buy four operas from the Salzburg Festival, where he is still director, before officially assuming his role at La Scala on Oct. 1.

"Pereira without a doubt went beyond his powers," Pisapia told reporters.

Pereira, who spent two decades at the Zurich Opera before heading to Salzburg in 2011, has said he was following common practices for European theatres.

Not since Ricardo Muti was pushed out as musical director in a worker mutiny nearly a decade ago has there been so much turmoil in La Scala's ranks. The controversy risks damaging La Scala's prestige just as Milan prepares to host Expo 2015, the world fair that will feature a concert series at La Scala.

Pereira's curtailed tenure could have consequences for La Scala's musical direction. Pereira had already brought on Riccardo Chailly, replacing Daniel Barenboim in the role of musical director. Barenboim bowed out two years early to make way for Pereira's choice.

Pereira, 66, was named last June to replace Frenchman Stephan Lissner, who departs Sept. 1 for the Paris Opera after nine seasons at La Scala. Pereira, sought after for his business acumen and fundraising ability, has been working at La Scala in the intervening period, as Lissner has been working on his own transition into the Paris Opera.

The La Scala board on Thursday sent Pereira a letter outlining its terms: that he direct the upcoming season that opens Dec. 7, and immediately signs a resignation letter effective Dec. 31, 2015. He must also agree to run any financial decision, including contracts with artists and deals with other opera houses, by the board.

Pereira has not yet responded to the letter.

"It was the only possible and practical solution to avoid a disaster at our La Scala," Pisapia said. The opera house wants to both maintain the 2014-2015 season, devoted to the Expo, "at the highest level" while avoiding possible litigation if they had moved to oust Pereira immediately, he said.

Programs at opera houses are typically laid out years in advance to secure singers and conductors, whose schedules fill up. It isn't uncommon for incoming general managers to be discussing possible runs with artists for future seasons before they actually take over.

However, the terms of Pereira's La Scala deal stipulated he could only make contacts, not reach deals, before taking full power.

After Muti's contentious departure, the opera house, which was home to Giuseppe Verdi and Arturo Toscanini, enjoyed a period of relative calm under Lissner, who nudged Barenboim into the role of musical director and diversified the repertoire while balancing the budget ever year.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Glenn January won't blame offensive line for first loss

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • PHIL HOSSACK / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS 070619 LIGHTNING ILLUMINATES AN ABANDONED GRAIN ELEVATOR IN THE VILLAGE OF SANFORD ABOUT 10PM TUESDAY NIGHT AS A LINE OF THUNDERSTORMS PASSED NEAR WINNIPEG JUST TO THE NORTH OF THIS  SITE.
  • A young goose   reaches for long strands of grass Friday night near McGillvary Blvd-See Bryksa 30 Day goose challenge- Day 19 - May 23, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Should Manitoba support the transport of nuclear waste through the province?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google