The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Prosecutor drops disorderly conduct case against Paul Simon, Edie Brickell

  • Print

NORWALK, Conn. - Prosecutors on Tuesday said they were dropping a disorderly conduct case against Paul Simon and his wife, Edie Brickell, that stemmed from a fight at the couple's home.

Simon, 72, and Brickell, 48, did not appear in Norwalk Superior Court, where prosecutors told a judge they were declining to pursue the case, meaning the charges will be dropped and eventually erased after 13 months.

Prosecutors declined to comment outside court. A telephone message left for the couple's attorney, Andrew Bowman, was not immediately returned.

The couple fought April 26 inside a cottage on their property in New Canaan, police said.

Brickell told officers she confronted her husband after he did something to "break her heart," according to police, but she did not provide any details. She told police Simon shoved her and she slapped him. The police report said Simon suffered a superficial cut to his ear and Brickell, who smelled of alcohol, had a bruise on her wrist.

Both said in court on April 28 that they did not consider the other a threat, and no protective order was issued.

Simon is a 12-time Grammy winner and member of The Songwriters Hall of Fame and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame — as half of the duo of Simon and Garfunkel and as a solo artist.

Brickell is perhaps best known for the song "What I Am," recorded with her band the New Bohemians and released in 1988. She collaborated last year with comedian Steve Martin, who has an acclaimed career as a folk musician, for the roots album "Love Has Come For You."

The singers were married in 1992. They have three children.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Stuart Murray announces musical RightsFest for CMHR opening weekend

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Two baby tigers were unveiled at the Assiniboine Park Zoo this morning, October 3rd, 2011. (TREVOR HAGAN/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • JOE BRYKSA/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS Local-(Standup photo)- A wood duck swims through the water with fall refections in Kildonan Park Thursday afternoon.

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Should the city grant mosquito buffer zones for medical reasons only?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google