Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 17/6/2013 (1198 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
TORONTO -- South Korean rapper Psy hosted in style, Drake dropped by for an unannounced visit and soon-to-be-wed Canadian music power couple Avril Lavigne and Chad Kroeger took a bow at the MuchMusic Video Awards.
Psy opened the festivities with his galloping viral smash Gangnam Style, and also won the viral video of the year award for the video, which racked up more than 1.65 billion YouTube views.
Meanwhile, Lavigne sent a buzz through the crowd when she walked the red carpet with Nickelback's Kroeger. The punk princess wore a black-leather crown covered in metal spikes atop her head, and the couple was mutually clad head-to-toe in black.
It wasn't long before she'd claimed her first award, for international video of the year by a Canadian.
Grammy-winning Toronto rapper Drake was the evening's big surprise guest, strolling onstage unannounced to give a brief speech after winning hip hop video of the year for his origin-story boast Started From the Bottom (which also brought home the award for director of the year).
- Video of the Year: Inner Ninja, Classified ft. David Myles. Director: RT!
- Post-production of the year: Surprise Surprise, Billy Talent. Director: Michael Maxxis. Post production house: Screaming Death Monkey & Dave De Carlo.
- Dance video of the year: The Veldt, Deadmau5 ft. Chris James. Director: Manroop Takhar; Joel Zimmerman.
- Director of the year: Director X (Started From the Bottom, Drake)
- Pop video of the year: Desperate Measures, Marianas Trench. Director: Kyle Davison.
- Rock/alternative video of the year: Stompa, Serena Ryder. Director: Natalie Rae Robison.
- Hip hop video of the year: Started From the Bottom, Drake. Director: Director X.
- MuchFact video of the year: Inner Ninja, Classified ft. David Myles. Director: RT!
- International video of the year (artist): Heart Attack, Demi Lovato. Director: Chris Applebaum.
- International video of the year (group): Thrift Shop, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis ft. Wanz. Director: Jon Jon Augustavo; Ryan Lewis; Ben Haggerty.
- International video of the year by a Canadian: Here's to Never Growing Up, Avril Lavigne. Director: Anonymous.
- Viral video of the year: Gangnam Style, Psy.
- Your Fave artist/group of the year: As Long As You Love Me, Justin Bieber
- Your Fave international artist/group of the year: 22, Taylor Swift
- Your Fave video: Stutter, Marianas Trench
-- The Canadian Press