The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Plea deal talks fall apart in Chris Brown case; singer faces assault charge from hotel fight

  • Print

WASHINGTON - Singer Chris Brown was close to resolving his assault case in a deal that would have kept him out of jail, but talks fell apart Wednesday when attorneys couldn't agree on what Brown would acknowledge happened during a scuffle that led to his arrest.

Brown was arrested in October and charged with misdemeanour assault after a man accused the singer of hitting him when he tried to get in a photograph Brown was taking with two women outside a Washington hotel. At the time, Brown was on probation in California for a 2009 attack on singer Rihanna, his then girlfriend.

Prosecutor Kevin Chambers said in court that Brown rejected a deal to plead guilty to misdemeanour assault and receive a sentence of time served. Brown spent the night in jail in Washington after his arrest and also served time in California after acknowledging he violated probation by committing a crime in Washington. He was released from jail in early June.

The Grammy-winning artist has had several flare-ups since the attack on Rihanna, including being accused of breaking a window after a 2011 "Good Morning America" interview and being involved in a fistfight with singer Frank Ocean's entourage, but none of them have led to charges. He also went to rehab for anger management, but was kicked out.

In the Washington case, the singer's attorney, Mark Geragos, said defence lawyers and prosecutors couldn't agree on a statement of facts about what happened outside the W hotel.

"They wanted him to read from a script that wasn't true," Geragos said after the hearing.

Asked what disagreement was over, Geragos declined to say.

The attorneys had been in talks until hours before the hearing, but could not resolve the issue. A trial for Brown was scheduled for Sept. 8. It is expected to take a day and a half.

"If they want a trial, that's what they'll get," Geragos said outside court where fans mobbed Brown, screaming and taking photographs of the singer.

Also in court was Brown's bodyguard, Christopher Hollosy, who was charged in the same Washington scuffle. Hollosy was accused of being the second person after Brown to strike Parker Adams, the man who said Brown became agitated after Adams tried to take a selfie with Brown and two women Adams was with. Hollosy was convicted of misdemeanour assault in April but has not yet been sentenced.

Hollosy's attorney, Bernard Grimm, was granted more time to ask for a new trial after he said there was potential new evidence in the case. He did not say publicly what it was.

Brown's lawyers have said they want Hollosy to testify at Brown's trial. He's expected to say that he, not Brown, struck Adams.

___

Follow Jessica Gresko on Twitter at http://twitter.com/jessicagresko

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Your top TV picks for August 25-28

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • PHIL.HOSSACK@FREEPRESS.MB.CA 100527-Winnipeg Free Press THe Provencher Foot Bridge is lit up
  • A female Mallard duck leads a group of duckings on a morning swim through the reflections in the Assiniboine River at The Forks Monday.     (WAYNE GLOWACKI/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS) Winnipeg Free Press  June 18 2012

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Did you suffer any damages from Thursday's storm?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google