The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
Stevie Nicks gets BMI honour, talks Fleetwood Mac reunion and new solo album
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. - Stevie Nicks thought former bandmate Christine McVie was joking when she told her that she wanted to go on tour with Fleetwood Mac last year.
"I'm like, 'Well, you've convinced us over 16 years that you were never coming back. You finally, actually convinced us. So, are you kidding?'" Nicks said.
McVie was serious. And Fleetwood Mac is finally back to its most successful configuration, which also includes Lindsey Buckingham, Mick Fleetwood and Christine's ex-husband John McVie, who was treated for cancer last year.
Their 33-city tour, "On With the Show," starts Sept. 30 in Minneapolis. McVie, 70, last toured with the band in 1998.
"And I said, 'Well, Chris, have you seen us in concert lately? Because you should see us, because it's very physical," Nicks said. "It's almost three hours, and you kind of have to be an athlete. So, get a trainer.' And she did! She did, totally!"
Nicks, 65, made the comments Tuesday night when she was honoured with an icon award from music-rights management group Broadcast Music Inc. Adam Levine, Sheryl Crow, Lady Antebellum and Shakira paid tribute to Nicks with performances at the annual BMI Pop Awards in Beverly Hills, California.
Nicks, who received the honour for writing well-known tunes for Fleetwood Mac and for her solo career, says the band is working on new music. She's still working solo, too: Her upcoming album will feature songs she has written and, in some cases, performed over the years, that fans asked to be properly recorded.
"We went onto YouTube and we found all the songs that, somehow, were taken from my house or picked up or loaned out or whatever ... and we went to Nashville and we recorded 17 songs," she said. "So they're like all starting from like 1969 maybe? I call them my 24-carat gold songs."
Follow Mike Cidoni Lennox at twitter.com/cidonilennox
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 6 articles for today)7:49 AM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Presidential performance
- Drug trial of ex-'X Factor' judge collapses over claim reporter known as 'Fake Sheik' lied
- Ryan Adams in town Oct. 12
- Death at B.C. music festival prompts security concerns from concertgoer
- Weird Al Yankovic thriving again, but says he might not make any more albums
- Dirty Daddy: Bob Saget comes clean about sullying himself with tell-all memoir
- Fred Eaglesmith, Fast Romantics, coming to town
- Celine Dion says husband Rene Angelil doing well in recovery from cancer
- Shania Twain to wrap 2-year Las Vegas residency December; announces 16 new shows
- Toronto-bred Magic! singer confident that hit single 'Rude' just the beginning
- Getting drenched in the rain part of Countryfest experience
- Bublé delivers slick show
- Thicke as a brick
- Countryfest: community-focused
- Folk festival attendance down
- Rowdy, pardner
- Early birds seek Folk Fest camping sites
- Raitt brings legendary chops to festival opener
- Daylong rain doesn't stop final-day Folk Fest sparks
- Presidential performance
Ads by Google