Nowadays, allergies abound and many people have to very careful with what they eat. So many processed foods contain additives for preserving, bulk-forming, flavouring and stabilizers. As a result we need to be aware of what we are eating, what it contains and where it comes from.
Apricot and Almond Slice
100 g (31/2 oz) rolled oats
60 g (2 oz) flaked almonds
90 g (3/4 cup) almond flour
10 ml (2 tsp) baking powder (gluten-free if required)
100 g (1/2 cup) sugar (plus a little extra for sprinkling)
75 ml (1/3 cup) cold water
2 pieces of glace ginger, finely chopped
150 g (5 1/4 oz) soft, dried apricots, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 180 C and grease a 450 g (1 lb) loaf pan. Line with parchment paper.
2. Grind 50 g of the oats in a food processor until fine.
3. Place in a mixing bowl along with the rest of the oats.
4. Add the almonds, almond flour, baking powder and sugar.
5. Beat the eggs lightly, add the water and ginger.
6. Add eggs and apricots to the oat mixture and mix well.
7. Turn into the baking pan and bake for 30-35 minutes.
8. Loosen the edges, remove from the pan and put on wire rack.
9. Sprinkle the top with a little extra sugar and leave to cool.
10. Serve thinly sliced with or without butter