This week the recipe is for those special members of the family who are always loyal, always happy to see you and always sad to see you leave. Of course I'm talking about man's best friend, your dog. Sorry cat lovers, despite years of analysis, I don't think I will ever know what cats like.
My cousin Karen and I share a love for border collies. A few years ago she gave me a version of this recipe for dog treats, which I tweaked. I now make these regularly for my 'girls' Dakota and Fly. When the treats are in the dehydrator, they sit staring and drooling while the aromas torment them.
There is much debate over what goes into dog food and what they should eat. All I know is, this treat contains whole ingredients and dogs love them. Please remember chicken livers are very rich, so like all treats, do not give too many.
500 g (1.1 lb) chicken livers
1 l (4 cups) oatmeal
500 ml (2 cups) cornmeal
500 ml (2 cups) bran
500 ml (2 cups) all-purpose flour
15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F)
2. Chop the chicken livers and oil in a food processor
3. Combine the dry ingredients and add the livers. Rinse the processor bowl with a little water and add to the mixture
4. Mix all the ingredients well (it's easier by hand) to a rough dough. Add a little extra water if too dry
5. Press into a cookie sheet and cut into small squares
6. Bake for 10-15 minutes. Do not over-bake
7. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly
8. Remove from the cookie sheet, place on a clean cookie sheet and dry out overnight in the oven at the lowest temperature (120 C or 250 F) or dry out in a dehydrator.