When a story on the historic Ashkenazy synagogue on Burrows Avenue ran on Feb. 15, some readers emailed, commented online and phoned in to respond.
Part of the story referred to a longtime member as having said that while there used to be about 14 synagogues in the North End at one time, today Ashkenazy was the only one left.
Readers politely responded by mentioning other synagogues. In a nutshell, however, the North End in the article was meant to refer to the core area of the original North End.
There are, of course, other fine synagogues deserving of mention in the north part of the city -- as listed on the Jewish Federation of Winnipeg website.
Congregation Etz Chayim is an Egalitarian Conservative congregation located at 123 Matheson Ave. It was born in August 2002 when Beth Israel, Bnay Abraham and Rosh Pina Synagogue amalgamated. The synagogue contains beautiful stained-glass windows.
Chavurat Tefila (Fellowship of Prayer) is an Orthodox synagogue at 459 Hartford Ave. It began in 1972, according to writer Harry Gutkin, in rented quarters at the Peretz School.
Members later converted a Protestant church to a synagogue in 1975.
The Talmud Torah-Beth Jacob Synagogue is an Orthodox synagogue located at 1525 Main St., in what used to be the Deluxe (Hyland) Theatre. Gutkin wrote that it began on Charles Street and Flora Avenue in 1912.
The Chevra Mishnayes Synagogue may be described as a Conservative synagogue and is situated at 700 Jefferson Ave. The original synagogue was located on Stella and Robinson streets, beginning in 1908.
As Russ Gourluck points out in The Mosaic Village, the North End's boundaries can sometimes be less than clear, but one thing is for sure: It is a place many are proud to be from.
Sources: Jewish Federation of Winnipeg website; Canadian Jewish Congress Charities Committee National Archives website; Jewish Post and News, April 15, 1992.