Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 6/8/2013 (1266 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
Need a fresh way to chill out this summer? How about DIY flurries?
A flurry is simple -- and it isn't something you can only get at the ice cream shop. You start off with ice cream, usually a basic flavour, then you stir or mix or blend all kinds of things into it. It's not a float; no liquid is added. It's like an ice cream sundae, but with the toppings blended in instead of piled on top.
Most ice cream shops start with soft serve because it mixes so easily. Since most of us don't have soft serve machines in our kitchens (If only!), we suggest using a machine you probably do have -- a microwave.
Start with a pint of ice cream. Remove the lid and microwave it for about 10 seconds. Test it with a spoon. The ice cream should still be frozen, but should give when pressed with the back of the spoon. If it's not ready, continue microwaving in five-second bursts, testing in between.
Now you're ready to mix. You can keep it simple and just use a spoon to mix the ice cream and toppings in a bowl. But where's the fun in that? Ice cream shops often use a stick blender, another item you may not have. So instead, toss everything into the food processor and pulse a few times.
As for what to use to flavour your flurries? Anything goes. And pile in as many as you can. The more you add, the more delicious it becomes. To help you get started, we've come up with a bunch of ideas for delicious, chilly flurries.
- SNOWSTORM: vanilla ice cream, Peppermint Pattie candies, crushed peppermint sticks, a few drops of mint extract
- COCOA BEACH: chocolate ice cream, toasted macadamia nuts, toasted coconut, hot fudge sauce
- SATISFACTION: sweet cream ice cream, crushed salted peanuts, caramel sauce, chopped Snickers chocolate bar
- BERRY BASKET: black raspberry ice cream, chopped fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries
- CONCESSION STAND: vanilla ice cream, chocolate sandwich cookies, crushed pretzels, gummy bears, M&M's, caramel sauce, malted milk balls
- SILVER SCREEN: vanilla ice cream, caramel popcorn, chocolate-covered peanuts
- CAMPFIRE: vanilla ice cream, crushed chocolate-covered graham crackers, chopped smoked almonds, chopped marshmallows, hot fudge sauce
- ULTIMATE PEANUT: chocolate ice cream, peanut butter sauce, chopped Butterfinger candy bar, chopped Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, salted peanuts, peanut butter M&M's
- DARK HORSE CHERRY: chocolate ice cream, chopped maraschino cherries, crushed chocolate sandwich cookies, finely chopped espresso chocolate
- MELBA: raspberry swirl ice cream, chopped peaches, fresh raspberries, finely chopped candied ginger
- TRAIL MIX: sweet cream ice cream, toasted pecans, granola, dried cranberries, mini chocolate chips
- BANSHEE: coffee ice cream, bananas, toasted almonds, cinnamon, crushed toffee
- MALTED COOKIE: chocolate ice cream, malted milk balls, crushed vanilla wafer cookies, toasted almonds
-- The Associated Press