The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

AP NewsBreak: Survey finds employees at contaminated nuclear site wary of challenging managers

  • Print

SPOKANE, Wash. - Few of the U.S. Department of Energy workers who are helping build a plant to treat the most dangerous radioactive wastes at a nuclear site in Washington state feel they can openly challenge decisions made by management, according to a report obtained Tuesday by The Associated Press.

The survey conducted by the department shows only 30 per cent of its employees at the Hanford Nuclear Reservation feel they can question their bosses.

The results were somewhat better for plant managers who responded, with 65 per cent saying they could openly challenge decisions by higher-level managers.

Democratic Sen. Ron Wyden of Oregon said the study shows recent allegations of retaliation against Hanford workers who raised safety concerns made other employees less likely to come forward.

Hanford, near Richland in south central Washington, is engaged in a multi-decade cleanup of the nation's largest collection of nuclear waste.

Two people who recently raised concerns about the design and safety of the unfinished Waste Treatment Plant at Hanford lost their jobs. Donna Busche was fired earlier this year, while Walter Tamosaitis, a 40-year Hanford employee, was laid off last year.

The U.S. Department of Energy has asked its Office of Inspector General to investigate Busche's firing.

Hanford was created during the Manhattan Project in World War II to make nuclear weapons, and continued making plutonium for the next four decades of the Cold War. The site now stores some 56 million gallons of radioactive wastes in 177 giant underground tanks. Many of those tanks have exceeded their design lifespans and are leaking.

The long-delayed Waste Treatment Plant is intended to turn that waste into glass logs for eventual burial. The $12 billion plant is a one-of-a-kind facility whose construction has been halted by design and safety concerns. The plant is Energy Department's largest construction project, and is scheduled to open by 2019.

The survey was taken between December 2013 and March 2014. All workers in the department's Office of River Protection were invited to participate, and about two-thirds did, the report said.

Wyden called 70 per cent a "shockingly high number" of employees who feel they cannot speak freely about safety concerns.

"I have warned that allowing retaliation against whistleblowers would make employees less likely to come forward with legitimate health and safety concerns," Wyden said. "This report unfortunately confirms those fears."

The survey also found just 40 per cent of employees believed constructive criticism was encouraged. Slightly more than 50 per cent of employees agreed with the statement that management wanted concerns reported.

The Energy Department also surveyed employees of Bechtel National Inc., the private contractor building the treatment plant, and its main subcontractor URS Corp. Forty-five per cent of those employees felt they could openly challenge decisions made by management, and 70 per cent of managers felt they could openly challenge higher-ups, according to that report.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Bombers look to snap two game slide vs. Montreal

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • PHIL HOSSACK / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS 070619 LIGHTNING ILLUMINATES AN ABANDONED GRAIN ELEVATOR IN THE VILLAGE OF SANFORD ABOUT 10PM TUESDAY NIGHT AS A LINE OF THUNDERSTORMS PASSED NEAR WINNIPEG JUST TO THE NORTH OF THIS  SITE.
  • A  young goose stuffed with bread from  St Vital park passers-by takes a nap in the shade Thursday near lunch  –see Bryksa’s 30 day goose challenge Day 29-June 28, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Did you suffer any damages from Thursday's storm?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google