The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Quebec daycare where kids were overcome by carbon monoxide didn't have detector

  • Print

SAINT-EUSTACHE, Que. - A Quebec daycare where children were overcome by carbon monoxide did not have a detector to alert staff, authorities said Tuesday.

At least five children were overcome by carbon monoxide at Les petits explorateurs daycare centre in St-Eustache, north of Montreal.

Later in the day, local hospital officials said none of the children's lives were in danger.

Those who experienced the more serious symptoms were transferred to a children's hospital in Montreal for further follow-up.

"The first ones to arrive by ambulance showed symptoms of typical intoxication," Dr. Alain Turcotte, the director of professional services, told a news conference Tuesday. "Five young children were transferred to St. Justine's hospital so they could be followed more closely. . . they showed more severe symptoms of intoxication."

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, and tasteless gas that is toxic to humans in high concentrations.

Turcotte also said that two of the children had actually lost consciousness and others were vomiting and complaining of nausea and headaches.

The rest of the daycare's 72 children and about 10 staff were taken to the St-Eustache hospital by school bus as a preventive measure and treated with oxygen.

A regional health department spokeswoman said there was no carbon monoxide detector installed at the centre.

"In an ideal world, everyone would have had a carbon monoxide detector, like they have a smoke detector," Dr. Marie-Claude Lacombe said. "But in this case there was not one."

The St-Eustache fire department said its preliminary investigation points to a propane-fuelled floor cleaning machine used at the daycare as the potential source.

"At this stage, we can say that we suspect equipment used to clean floors," said fire chief Charles de Rouville.

"We took readings (and) there were high readings of carbon monoxide," de Rouville said.

The daycare was quickly aired out by firefighters.

The incident caught the attention of Prime Minister Stephen Harper, who expressed his concerns about the state of the children on his Twitter account.

"Very worrisome news out of St-Eustache," he wrote. "Hoping for the quick recovery of all those involved."

In Quebec City, Families Minister Francine Charbonneau promised the incident will be subject to an administrative investigation. The daycare is a private, subsidized facility.

She said it was probably stressful for parents who were contacted and asked to come to the hospital.

"It must have been terrible for a parent to get a phone call," she said.

Charbonneau said that initially there were suspicions that the children were affected by a flu bug, but staff quickly realized something else was wrong.

- By Peter Rakobowchuk in Montreal

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Winnipeg Cheapskate: Cheap summer weekends

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • A baby Red Panda in her area at the Zoo. International Red Panda Day is Saturday September 15th and the Assiniboine Park Zoo will be celebrating in a big way! The Zoo is home to three red pandas - Rufus, Rouge and their cub who was born on June 30 of this year. The female cub has yet to be named and the Assiniboine Park Zoo is asking the community to help. September 14, 2012  BORIS MINKEVICH / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
  • PHIL.HOSSACK@FREEPRESS.MB.CA 090728 / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS White Pelicans belly up to the sushi bar Tuesday afternoon at Lockport. One of North America's largest birds is a common sight along the Red RIver and on Lake Winnipeg. Here the fight each other for fish near the base of Red RIver's control structure, giving human fisher's downstream a run for their money.

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Should Winnipeg control growth to deal with climate change?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google