The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Alberta opposition wants probe into reports of deaths of care-home patients

  • Print

RED DEER, Alta. - The Alberta government is confirming that five people who were moved out of a Red Deer care home for the mentally and physically disabled have died.

A spokeswoman for the associate minister for persons with disabilities says the province looked at the circumstances — as it always does when a person in care dies.

Residents of the Michener Centre are being moved to community group homes as part of a government plan to close much of the facility to save money.

The three opposition parties are calling for all transfers to stop, and two of the parties — the NDP and the Liberals — are calling for an official investigation.

The associate minister for persons with disabilities says the government follows up regularly to ensure the moved residents are looked after properly.

Naresh Bhardwaj (nah-RESH' bahrd-WAZH') says anyone who has concerns about care should come forward.

"We have every confidence in the care providers and medical professionals, who ensure individuals receive equal or better care than what they had while at Michener," Bhardwaj said in a statement Thursday.

"We do regular followups and check-ins with every individual who has moved into the community to ensure their needs are being met and that any concerns are addressed immediately," he said.

"If anyone has any evidence to suggest the needs of an individual are not being met, or that a death was caused by a transition to another care setting, we ask that they speak with the appropriate authorities."

NDP critic Dave Eggen says the government is well aware of the strain that a move could put on a longtime resident.

"We need to know if the transfer, the trauma and the movement of these individuals, is somehow hastening injury or death," he said at a news conference Thursday.

Wildrose critic Kerry Towle wants the centre to remain open permanently.

"Residents and their family have literally had their lives torn up around them for over the past year and continue to live in anxiety waiting in limbo to find out if they can say in their homes or not," she said.

Swan said the reports are "deeply disturbing."

"If it is determined that the transfers are either the sole cause or a major cause of these deaths, then these transfers must be halted permanently and the Michener Centre kept open," he said.

The province announced last year that it planned to close the institutional buildings at the care home and move 120 residents into community group homes or seniors facilities.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Inside peek at Real Pirates, new Manitoba Museum exhibit

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • KEN GIGLIOTTI  WINNIPEG FREE PRESS / July 23 2009 - 090723 - Bart Kives story - Harry Lazarenko Annual River Bank Tour - receding water from summer rains and erosion  damage by flood  and ice  during spring flooding -  Red River , Lyndale Dr. damage to tree roots , river bank damage  , high water marks after 2009 Flood - POY
  • Down the Hatch- A pelican swallows a fresh fish that it caught on the Red River near Lockport, Manitoba. Wednesday morning- May 01, 2013   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Are you still on the Bombers' and Jets' bandwagons?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google