The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
Posted: 01/24/2014 6:36 PM | Comments: 0
EDMONTON - Edmonton police are investigating what it is calling elder abuse after a 73-year-old woman was found living in deplorable conditions.
Const. Darren Smith says the rental apartment the woman was living in was filled with black mould and the kitchen ceiling had collapsed due to leaking water.
He says there were also constant electrical failures.
Smith says the woman finally called Catholic Social Services because she felt trapped and unable to move due to financial constraints.
The woman was taken to hospital for observation and has since been released.
Alberta Health has condemned the apartment and the landlord has been ordered to repair the damages.
"There were actually electrical shocks that came out of an outlet that was in the bathroom about 12 feet away," Smith said.
"So, of course for me that was a big indication of a fire hazard, a fire concern."
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories? Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Extroverts Happier Regardless of Culture, Study Finds
Restaurants in Poor Areas Push Unhealthy Foods, Study Finds
How to Make 'Low-Cal' Menu Options More Palatable
Nurses' Experience Key to Better Patient Care, Study Says
Stress Tied to Worse Allergy Symptoms
Ragwitek Approved for Adult Ragweed Allergy
Certain Sedatives Tied to Breathing Problems in Older COPD Patients
More People Worldwide Eating 'Healthy' Fats, Study Finds
So-Called 'Apple Shape' Not a Risk Factor for Breast Cancer: Study
Happy Couples Nestle Together at Night, Survey Finds
Appetite, Taste Changes Reported After Weight-Loss Surgery
Oil-Swishing Craze: Snake Oil or All-Purpose Remedy?
Suddenly Health Insurance Is Not for Sale
Health Highlights: April 18, 2014