The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Iran records its first 2 cases of potentially fatal Middle East Respiratory Virus

  • Print

TEHRAN, Iran - Iran has recorded its first two cases of the potentially fatal Middle East respiratory virus, first reported in Saudi Arabia two years ago, media reported Wednesday.

The kingdom has been the focal point of the outbreak of the virus, known as the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome.

Iran's Hamshahri daily on Wednesday quoted health ministry official Mohammad Mahdi Gouya as saying the virus was confirmed in two sisters in Kerman, southeastern Iran. One was reported to be in critical condition. It remains unclear how they contracted the virus and no further details were available.

Gouya said there are also two other suspected cases, from the same family as the sisters.

The official said all those who had been in touch with the two sisters were identified within 48 hours. He added they were all under medical supervision as a precautionary measure.

Gouya also said measures have been taken to provide information to pilgrims who visit Saudi Arabia for pilgrimages to Mecca.

"Necessary measures have been taken to visit pilgrims who return from Hajj pilgrimage back home," he was quoted as saying.

About 600 people have had the illness and about 175 people have died.

MERS belongs to the coronavirus family that includes the common cold and SARS, which caused some 800 deaths in 2003.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Glenn January won't blame offensive line for first loss

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • A goose flys defensively to protect their young Wednesday near Kenaston Blvd and Waverley -See Bryksa 30 Day goose challenge- Day 16 - May 23, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • A young goose gobbles up grass at Fort Whyte Alive Monday morning- Young goslings are starting to show the markings of a adult geese-See Bryksa 30 day goose challenge- Day 20– June 11, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Should confessions extracted through Mr. Big police stings be admissible in court?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google