The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

New Brunswick health officials report alleged privacy breach at Moncton hospital

  • Print

MONCTON, N.B. - Health officials in New Brunswick are investigating after they say a physician accessed personal patient information without authorization.

The Vitalite Health Network says the alleged privacy breach took place at the Dr. Georges-L.-Dumont University Hospital Centre in Moncton.

The health board issued a statement Tuesday saying the problem was discovered in February 2013 during a record access audit and a more comprehensive investigation was launched.

It says that investigation has so far found an alleged unauthorized access of records involving 142 patients that took place from Sept. 6, 2010, until Nov. 30, 2012.

The health board says in some cases, information including addresses, phone numbers and dates of birth may have been seen, while in others the employee accessed health record information.

Richard Losier, the chief operating officer for Vitalite's Beausejour zone, says the province's privacy commissioner has been informed and a letter has been sent to affected patients.

Losier says there is no evidence to suggest the information that was accessed was shared or used in any other manner.

The health board says action will be taken if necessary once the investigation is complete.

It did not identify in its statement the physician under investigation.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

In the Key of Bart: Can’t It Be Nice This Time?

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Goslings with some size head for cover Wednesday afternoon on Commerce Drive in Tuxedo Business Park - See Bryksa 30 Goose Challenge- Day 12- May 16, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • KEN GIGLIOTTI  WINNIPEG FREE PRESS / July 23 2009 - 090723 - Bart Kives story - Harry Lazarenko Annual River Bank Tour - receding water from summer rains and erosion  damage by flood  and ice  during spring flooding -  Red River , Lyndale Dr. damage to tree roots , river bank damage  , high water marks after 2009 Flood - POY

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

What are you most looking forward to this Easter weekend?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google