The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Ryan Seacrest company Typo fires back at BlackBerry over iPhone case suit

  • Print

TORONTO - Typo Products says BlackBerry is trying to hold a monopoly over smartphone keyboards, and that it shouldn't have to take its new iPhone case off the market.

The Los Angeles-based company, co-founded by "American Idol'' host Ryan Seacrest, filed documents Wednesday in a California court defending itself against a patent infringement lawsuit.

BlackBerry (TSX:BB) accuses Typo of copying its keyboard design in an effort to capitalize on the smartphone maker's "commercial recognition and goodwill.''

The company is seeking numerous rulings, including damages from Typo, all of Typo's profits and a stop to future sales of the keyboard technology.

The suit was filed in January and none of the allegations have been tested in court.

Typo disputes the claims made by BlackBerry, saying consumers will not be confused between the iPhone keyboard case, which sells for US$99, and an actual BlackBerry smartphone.

The Typo case attaches to an iPhone 5 or 5S, the most recent Apple smartphone models, both of which have touchscreen keyboards. The case adds about six millimetres in thickness and less than two centimetres in length.

About $1.4 million was spent to develop the Typo keyboard, and the company has sold about 4,000 cases since it debuted last month, said the legal documents.

Production capacity allows Typo to produce about 10,000 cases per month, it said.

So far, the Typo case has generated plenty of interest with orders for both January and February sold out, according to the company's website.

The idea for the Typo keyboard was born when Seacrest and its co-founder Laurence Hallier noticed their friends were carrying two phones — "one for typing and correspondence and an iPhone for virtually everything else,'' the company said on its website.

Seacrest is a well-known in the entertainment industry as host of "Idol,'' the weekly countdown radio show "American Top 40,'' and a producer on several television shows.

When BlackBerry filed its suit in January, the Waterloo, Ont.-based company outlined specifics of its keyboard layout and the roots of the current design in meticulous detail.

In its response, Typo attached pictures of various keyboard designs that date as far back as Smith Corona typewriters.

"Strangely, BlackBerry never disclosed any of these Smith Corona products to the patent office," Typo said in the documents.

"The QWERTY keyboard has been around since the 1870s and has been present in many messaging devices."

Typo also noted that BlackBerry is chasing primarily business consumers while its iPhone keyboard is aiming for the consumer market.

"BlackBerry seeks a monopoly on keyboards for any device," it said.

"Regretfully, however, small keyboards with nearly identical layouts as the one "claimed" by BlackBerry have been around since the mid-1980s."

Follow (at)dj_friend on Twitter

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Kevin Cheveldayoff announces Maurice contract extension

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Young goslings jostle for position to take a drink from a puddle in Brookside Cemetery Thursday morning- Day 23– June 14, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • Bright sunflowers lift their heads toward the south east skies in a  large sunflower field on Hwy 206 and #1 Thursday Standup photo. July 31,  2012 (Ruth Bonneville/Winnipeg Free Press)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Now that the snow is mostly gone, what are your plans?

View Results

Ads by Google