Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 12/3/2013 (1447 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
Accused serial killer Shawn Lamb is facing new allegations of assaulting and raping a young woman, the Free Press has learned.
Lamb, 52, was taken out of the downtown Remand Centre on Monday night after police secured a warrant for his arrest. Lamb was brought to the Public Safety Building, interviewed on video and hit with a charge of sexual assault with a weapon.
A Winnipeg sex-trade worker claims she was forced into having sex and beaten with a car club in late 2011. She came forward to police last summer, saying she recognized her attacker after seeing Lamb’s picture in the media.
A report was sent to Manitoba justice officials for consideration late last year. The Crown finally authorized a charge earlier this month.
Lamb was arrested last summer and charged with three counts of second-degree murder for the deaths of Lorna Blacksmith, 18, Tanya Nepinak, 31, and Carolyn Sinclair, 25. He remains in custody without bail. He has not entered a plea. None of the allegations has been proven and he is presumed innocent.
Police discovered the body of Blacksmith in a yard on Simcoe Street last June. She was allegedly killed in January 2012. Lamb has also been charged with the December 2011 killing of Carolyn Sinclair, whose body was discovered in March 2012. The third victim, Tanya Nepinak, was reportedly killed in September 2011. Her remains haven't been found.
Lamb was back in the headlines last month when he told police – and a Free Press reporter – that he has information that could help solve at least five additional cases. He says police haven't acted on his claims quickly enough and aren't taking him seriously.
Lamb has even provided the names of five women and details about evidence he claims he can lead officers to.
"I'm not saying I had anything to do with these five. I'm saying I have information," Lamb said in a recent phone interview from the Winnipeg Remand Centre. "I'm denying any involvement with anything."
Police say they are proceeding with caution because Lamb is a highly intelligent manipulator. Homicide investigators have spoken with Lamb several times in recent weeks and plan to continue doing so. But sources say those meetings have provided more frustration than results.
Lamb claims he is interested in bringing "closure" to as many families as possible, including the ones of the five names he's provided to police and the Free Press. Lamb has threatened to go public to local aboriginal leaders and even begin calling families personally, while in custody, if immediate action isn't taken.
Lamb denied he is trying to "bargain" with police, saying he expects nothing in return.
Sources say justice officials plan to seek a dangerous-offender designation against Lamb if he is convicted. That would give him an indefinite prison term. If convicted of second-degree murder, he would face a mandatory life sentence with no chance of parole for between 10 and 25 years.