Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION

Assiniboia Downs, province sign 12-year VLT agreement

  • Print
With today’s agreement, the government is providing a financial bridge for MJC which will maintain sustainability for horse racing in the interim.

TREVOR HAGAN / FREE PRESS FILES Enlarge Image

With today’s agreement, the government is providing a financial bridge for MJC which will maintain sustainability for horse racing in the interim.

The Manitoba government and the Manitoba Jockey Club have entered into a new 12-year VLT agreement which ensures the continuation of live thoroughbred horse racing at Assinoiboa Downs and ends a flurry of litigation the MJC had launched against the province after the government last year announced it was cancelling its VLT agreement with the Downs.

Reading from a prepared statement, Downs CEO Darren Dunn disclosed the new agreement to the Free Press this afternoon:

"The government of Manitoba and the Manitoba Jockey Club have reached a comprehensive agreement that resolves all matters outstanding between them regarding the continuation of live horse racing at Assiniboia Downs.

"This agreement recognizes that the Manitoba Jockey Club has entered into a partnership with Peguis First Nation, which in the long run will enhance revenue streams at Assiniboia Downs. With today’s agreement, the government is providing a bridge to MJC that intends to get it into a position where it will be able to enjoy the benefits of those enhanced revenue streams while maintaining sustainability for horse racing in the interim.

"With this agreement having been reached, the Manitoba Jockey Club will immediately discontinue all of its outstanding litigation against the government, its ministers and all government related entities and individuals. The government and Manitoba Jockey Club are pleased that live horse racing will continue uninterrupted at Assiniboia Downs and a new partnership between MJC and Peguis First Nation will allow for a stable and sustainable horse racing industry in Manitoba for years to come."

After the province announced last year that it was scrapping its VLT agreement with the MJC -- an agreement that funds purses for live racing at the Downs -- the MJC signed a deal with Peguis First Nation to build a new hotel and convention centre on vacant land the MJC owns adjacent to the Portage Avenue racetrack.

Dunn told the Free Press that the new agreement with the province contains a "tapering" element that will see the MJC's cut of revenues from the VLT's at the track slowly decline over the life of the agreement.

In a news release, the province said the key elements of the agreement are:

  • A VLT site-holder agreement has been entered into by MJC with Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries Corporation. The term of this new site-holder agreement is for 12 years, during which time the same number of machines, 140, will continue to be located at ASD.
  • During the first 10 of those years, the government will provide supplementary funding to MJC in the form of grants as follows:
  • Years 1 to 4: $5.40 million;
  • Years 5 and 6: $5.25 million;
  • Years 7 and 8: $5 million;
  • Year 9: $4 million; and
  • Year 10: $3 million.
  • In years 11 and 12, there will be no grants. At that point, the revenue to MJC will be the revenue generated through VLT commissions and contributions alone under a VLT siteholder agreement.

 

History

Updated on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 at 2:13 PM CDT: Adds details of the agreement.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Humans of the Holidays

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • A goose cools off Thursday in water at Omands Creek Park-See Bryksa 30 day goose challenge- Day 25– June 21, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • Marc Gallant/Winnipeg Free Press. Local/Standup- BABY BISON. Fort Whyte Centre's newest mother gently nudges her 50 pound, female bull calf awake. Calf born yesterday. 25 now in herd. Four more calfs are expected over the next four weeks. It is the bison's second calf. June 7, 2002.

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Now that former cabinet minister Theresa Oswald has entered the NDP leadership race, do you believe the "gang of five" rebel ministers were right to publicly criticize Premier Greg Selinger's leadership?

View Results

Ads by Google