May 22, 2015


Latest News

Band members continue sit-in at Buffalo Point

Some Buffalo Point First Nation band members are facing off with RCMP officers and two band councillors at the Buffalo Point band office near the Manitoba-Minnesota border, a protester confirmed this morning.

Opponents of Buffalo Point Chief John Thunder have held the band office in a sit-in for the last three week in a dispute over a land vote.

"We’re in a situation now," said Elliott Cobiness. He said two officers accompanied by the two band councillors ordered the protesters to leave this morning. He said they were handed legal documents and told Chief Thunder had obtained an injunction against their protest.

"It’s an illegal injunction," Cobiness said. The protesters refuse to leave and at least one supporter said today that she expected them to be arrested and removed at any moment.

That appeared to be unlikely. RCMP at the band office had no intention of arresting anyone, RCMP Cpl Miles Hiebert said.

"You will need to speak to the Band Council. I understand our members have no role in this other than to keep the peace," Hiebert said.

Chief Thunder filed a civil suit against the band occupation Nov. 2. He was not immediately available for comment.

 

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective January 2015.

Mike McIntyre | @mikeoncrime

May 22 3:51 pm

“You’ll pay for what you have done. When you get to the other side you’ll have to answer for it," Lavana Gentray told son's killer.

Mike McIntyre | @mikeoncrime

May 22 3:50 pm

“You caused us great suffering and sorrow. Every day I feel the loss of my precious son,” victim's mother, Lavana Gentray, told court.

Mike McIntyre | @mikeoncrime

May 22 3:50 pm

“Mr. Mustard lives on. He will have sunrises and sunsets. Tony’s are gone,” said victim's uncle, Michael James.

Mike McIntyre | @mikeoncrime

May 22 3:49 pm

Family members of the 50-year-old victim, Anthony Sorokowski, presented emotional impact statements Friday describing their loss.

Mike McIntyre | @mikeoncrime

May 22 3:49 pm

Gerald Mustard, 43, was convicted earlier this month of manslaughter. He wants 3-4 years. Judge reserved decision to June 2.

Scroll down to load more

Top